#1 mic

mic

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:50 AM

should be obvious but i want to check first! you just open the door and unscrew the hinges, right?!

#2 OllyD

OllyD

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:59 AM

should be obvious but i want to check first! you just open the door and unscrew the hinges, right?!

You also need to remove the checkstrap that stops the door opening too far. Open the door up and look for the split pin going holding it in place. Remove that first, THEN the hinges. Also make sure you support the door fully as the bolts are removed, as more stress is being placed on the bolts.

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:43 AM

remove check strap, then close door, undo 4 nuts behind the A panel, and then open door and lift away....

#4 Garagiste

Garagiste

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 01:12 PM

Unless the top two have rounded off heads and are locked solid like the :) s I have to contend with at the mo! :thumbsup:
I've been trying to hack the nuts off with a padsaw but boy is it tedious work, there's barely any room up there.
Almost wish the A panels were as rotten as the rest of it so I could chop them off and get some access!

#5 Timtom

Timtom

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 02:12 PM

Dont most cars just have the pins(down the middle of the hinge) holding the door on? because once we lost one.. and we had to not open the door.. because it would fall off!

#6 OllyD

OllyD

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:45 PM

Garagiste, have you tried fitting a blowtorch up there to free them up a bit? Or failing that a dremel to take a chunk out of the side of the nut. Usually, once the bolt integrity is compromised, they slip straight off. I'd suggest angle grinder, but i don't think there enough room without running the risk of accidentally slicing through the A-panel / Scuttle.

#7 Garagiste

Garagiste

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:53 PM

Don't think a blowtorch would help much, (the nuts are round-round) but I might give my "happy shopper excuse for a dremmel" a go, thanks!

#8 mni_steve

mni_steve

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 06:43 PM

angel grinder works... :shifty:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users