14 replies to this topic

#1 jade

jade

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 11:07 PM

Ok the fan belt on my 1997 mpi cooper has snapped, ive bought 2 different replacement belts from a local motor spares, both are too short. Also one from minispares - again too short.

Can anyone help me here with what part I need & where to buy one from?? Ive done a search & seen Halfords belts mentioned quite a few times, would I be best going here??

Another issue is, about 6 months ago I had all sorts of problems with my mini, a local guy fixed it but I didnt get a list of what he done, reciepts nothing, the alternator was supposidly one of the bits he replaced. Is it possible hes fitted a non standard part & this is why im struggling to find a belt to fit???

Any help much appreciated.

Jade x

#2 minipip

minipip

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • Local Club: TMF SE

Posted 13 March 2007 - 11:12 PM

have u slackend the alternator off?

#3 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 11:16 PM

sometimes its easier to remove the bottom bolt completelly from the alternator to get it to fit.

but saying that i did have the same drama last time i did the wife's just took the belt back and they gave me one just a bit bitter of the shelf, and i haven't had any problems with it

#4 jade

jade

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 11:29 PM

Yip, tried all that, the belt's ive bought are actually physically shorter than the one its to replace!!

#5 Phaeton

Phaeton

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 12:11 AM

If you go to Halfrauds (spit spit) their coding on the belts is done by size, so if yours is a 325 & you think you need another 25 get a 350.

Alan...

#6 minislapper

minislapper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:36 AM

Maybe the guy who did the car before, fitted the wrong belt? And you've actually bought the right one?

I thought the only difference was that one type of belt is slightly wider than the other to fit the two sizes of pulley?

Have you got the old belt off? If so, has it not got any markings on it?

#7 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:09 AM

Try taking your belt off and taking into Halfords. Then you can match up the size and groves which are denoted by the end letter on Halfords belts.

#8 cornflakes5210

cornflakes5210

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Local Club: sws south wales scoobys

Posted 14 March 2007 - 02:33 PM

lol at this found the ones ive bought are too long

#9 Ste84

Ste84

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 02:39 PM

Had exactly the same problem on my 97. Eneded going back and forth with different belts til I found one that was long enough.

In the end I got 925 (which stands for 925mm I think). The one written in the shops book was 663 I think. I made a note of it in my haynes manual however and the one that fits mine is

(Good year) 5PK0925

Hope that helps

#10 tino

tino

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 04:56 PM

Yip, tried all that, the belt's ive bought are actually physically shorter than the one its to replace!!

When I changed my fan belt the one I had was shorter than the one I had taken off although it was the same belt (Number wise) Over time they tend to extend a little I think :shifty:  It was a pain to get the new one on but it did fit after a bit of brute force and ignornance. Just ended up taking the alternator out then fitting it again inside the belt as that seemed the easiest way in my head at the time.

#11 jade

jade

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 05:04 PM

Ive been to halfords & got a 5PK923, got told thats the one for the multipoint anyway so will see if its any good :shifty:

#12 Ste84

Ste84

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 05:25 PM

Hope it fits! When I did mine I had to get a screwdriver under it to it lever over the top but it fits.

#13 BabyBek

BabyBek

I love sheepies

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  • Local Club: TMF and South Wales Minis

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:14 PM

I had same prob with my 97 cooper, but can't remember where I wrote down the part no! (or I'd go get it for you)

Hope the one you bough fit.

It seems to be a common problem... and there's me thinking it was just my mini being norty!

#14 jade

jade

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 04:54 PM

Ok the 923 didnt fit, took it back to halfrauds & they were little short of useless, ended up going to another motor wholesaler & got a 948......fitted it & it seems ok!! The one in his book listed for a cooper year 95 - 01 was a 868 or something :)

#15 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 05:37 PM

The cheese.

I've has the same problem with a fanbelt from mini spares. Just would not fit. Left it off in the end. Tis in the boot of El Gordo if I even truly need it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users