2 replies to this topic

#1 spatuluk

spatuluk

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:19 PM

Hi everyone. My name's Graham, 32, living in Southampton, and I'm currently not a Mini owner, but I'm working on that issue, and should hopefully not have this handicap for long! :( The plan is to have a mini in time for the London to Newquay run, which I accidentally happened upon last year and was the cause of my renewed attempt at mini ownership.

I've had two minis previously, but neither of them got very far. First was a 1971 example that I bought on impulse without viewing first. Structurally it was actually quite good (thinking back), but the mechanics were a mess. The engine wouldn't stay running for more than about 5 minutes at a time, the brakes didn't work at all, the lights seemed to have a mind of their own, and my subsequent amateur and misguided attempts at DIY repairs made it even worse. Off to the scrappy it went (if i knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have let it anywhere near a scrappy)

The second mini was three years later; I found a gray V-reg mini van being sold at a scrapyard in Kent for £80 (hopefully the previous mini was also sold like this!). It wasn't in very good shape, but I'd seen a lot worse. We got a list for the MOT, and all the parts and panels for the job, and a friend of a friend began welding and fitting while I went back to uni. This time my plan was scuppered by my bank, who refused to give me an overdraft, despite having been granted overdrafts before. I couldn't afford to pay for the welding on what I had, so the van was sold to pay for the work that had been done. I can only hope it went to a good home.

Twice bitten, quadrupally shy, you might think, but 9 years later and I'm hunting again! I'm really trying hard to ignore the cheap 'could do with restoration' minis, but I can feel my will weakening already. :X At least this time I can (almost) afford to pay for work to be done, and If a DIY job can't be done with a spanner and a screwdriver, then I'm making someone else do it. :X

My plan for the mini isn't totally set in stone. If it's a saloon, then I'm going to attach 13" alloys (maybe dark grey minilites, maybe revos), group 5 arches, some suspension upgrades, maybe some chrome stuff, and (when I can afford it) a respray to light brown with a white roof. After that's done I'll worry about the interior and engine. I may end up with an estate (I cycle a lot, so the extra space would be great), which would be similar but with a different colour. I don't know what colour yet.

Anyway, wish me luck in my hunt! :X

Edited by spatuluk, 20 March 2007 - 05:20 PM.

#2 Mini Beth

Mini Beth

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Local Club: MINI MOB!!

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:52 PM

Good luck with the hunt!!

and Welcome to TMF!!

#3 luvlygal

luvlygal

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:54 PM

What an essay! I couldn't be bothered to read it all but I gather you want a Mini soon for the London to Newquay run so good luck! :ermm:

Welcome to TMF. We're a nice bunch!

Jenn xx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users