#1 johnboy

johnboy

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 08:14 PM

hi all,
Im new to the mini building scene and i had wanted to build one with an R1 in the rear, like the z cars only try and fabricate my own kit. i no its a lot of work but im 19 and havnt got the funds for the z cars kit. I wanted to use the R1 as ive just finished building an off road buggy with a 2003 R1 in it an its immense so i wanted somethin similar for the road. But as im gona try build this my-self i dont want to hav to fit a reverse and also i want a little less noise in the car. also wanted to get rid of a chain if i could.( would save designing chain tightener) What i am wondering is, is ther a car engine out ther that will give me similar performance to the R1 and in and around the same price?

im at university at the moment(lufbra studyin auto enigneerin) so i wont get at it till the summer when i go home(n.ireland) but i am doing my research now. Doing this myself is a big undertakin but i love a challenge, so all help will b much appreciated guys!

Cheers,
John

#2 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 21 March 2007 - 01:08 AM

i think any 1.6/1.8 litre engine will give similar performance but they'll be more drivable and have loads more torque. honda vtec, rover k-series or vauxhall 2 litre red top are hot favourites for the max power go as fast as u can clan, the rover is the lightest, vauxhall is the heaviest but i think it puts out the best torque numbers. vtec just sounds awesome.

ok admittedly they dont have the revvyness and light weight of a bike engine. but bear in mind a correctly built 1.6 k-series is happy to rev to 10'000rpm. as will the 1.6 hondas

or get a short stroke a-series crank, 1071cc, go big bore with it and fit a 7 or 8 port head! there again you're looking at 10'000rpm in a mini engine.

or even try fitting hondas s2000 f type engine, its normally for RWD but im sure it could be adpted for fwd! just a shame the honda lumps are so heavy IMO!

#3 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 12:12 PM

To make it as easy as possible try finding a car that has the engine in the rear already. Mk1 MR2 engine is a good example, or the Lotus Elise and MGF.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users