8 replies to this topic

#1 davexdavexdave

davexdavexdave

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 11:05 PM

as i dont really want my mini anymore and am not eally bothered if i ruin it. i might have a go at making a roaster. is it just a matter of cutting the roof off and welding bars in to strengthen the shell. can people post pics up of them if they no what i mean as i cant find any pic of them. and can i buy the bit that covers where the rear seats would be??

#2 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 11:40 PM

From the ones i have seen they look like a simple cut here and there and take the roof off but i am asure its not as easy as that. I think there is a specific website which specalises in roofless minis but ill have another look for you!

Then again if you are not bothered id say have a go at making a shorty!

Very impresive and bound to turn heads!

#3 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 23 March 2007 - 11:47 PM

saw a great one a mitp about 8 years ago, it was yellow and had doors welded up and smoothed over, and 2 little AC Cobra screens nstead of a windscreen

#4 SQUADDIE

SQUADDIE

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 24 March 2007 - 12:07 AM

when you cut the roof of the roof panel makes a great rear deck weild back on

#5 SQUADDIE

SQUADDIE

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 24 March 2007 - 12:09 AM

spelling C**p must be the wine :w00t:

#6 Silicon Skum

Silicon Skum

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 01:39 AM

when you cut the roof of the roof panel makes a great rear deck weild back on

The roof panel will be a little on the narrow side as the mini goes wider at the base of the rear windows, but you just need to weld another strip of metal in the middle to give the correct width.

You will also need to strengthen the sills, or the car will bee a bit weak there.
With a little extra work you could add a soft top cover that simply buttons (forgot the name of those pop button thingies) over the rear seat panel and front windscreen.

I would try to keep the front windscreen and 'A' pillars, as the mini looks a little odd without them (though you could shorten the hight a little to give a more roadster look. I remember a blue mini roadster with two Audi TT style roll bars on the back, in mini mag a couple of years ago, it looked really good! Maybe have a look through some mini mags to get some ideas for the design you want. :w00t:

SS

#7 minibob

minibob

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:08 PM

as i dont really want my mini anymore and am not eally bothered if i ruin it. i might have a go at making a roaster. is it just a matter of cutting the roof off and welding bars in to strengthen the shell. can people post pics up of them if they no what i mean as i cant find any pic of them. and can i buy the bit that covers where the rear seats would be??

Some pics on eBay here and Here and This one shows extra bars along the sides

Edited by minibob, 24 March 2007 - 05:13 PM.

#8 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:13 PM

I am making a roadster out of my old convertible (starting it soonish).

The roof panel (as said above) is not wide enough without welding a strip into it from what I've measured. Also, you'll need to reinforce the whole thing as the roof is a major structural member. I am welding the doors up on mine, with a pair of standard door skins, I will be putting some framework right down the sides to act as impact protection and also to give it some stiffness.

It aint an easy conversion by any means, but there are plenty around that have done it.

#9 davexdavexdave

davexdavexdave

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 07:11 PM

well ive never done anything like this before but sod it ill have a go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users