7 replies to this topic

#1 OllyD

OllyD

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:39 PM

Hi guys, I can't get my cylinder head off today for love nor money. I've disconnected everything, all bolts off and whatnot. But the head is sealed on fast. I don't have a mallet to hand as i've never had a cylinder head get stuck tight before, but i've tried levering between under the thermostat. I've tried tapping with a hammer (through a cloth/onto a piece of wood). But no joy. The only thing i can think of is because i haven't been able to take the studs out,only the bolts securing them. I tried to get them out but can't work out how to get leverage on them without damage. Any suggestions? I'd like to get this finished today, since I took the day off work!

#2 Cisco

Cisco

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:41 PM

I have the same problem! Just posted the same thing. Hopefully someone will help us out ^_^

#3 Xiao_Bin

Xiao_Bin

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 01:06 PM

to remove the stud, did u try tightening 2 nut against each other on the stud, then use them to unscrew that stud?

#4 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Local Club: The Greenbank working mens social club

Posted 25 March 2007 - 01:18 PM

Not sure if its a good idea but if you have removed the rocker shaft you could try cranking the engine to blow the head off with compression. Disconnect the HT leads to the spark plugs first.

Edited by koss, 25 March 2007 - 01:20 PM.

#5 Bill USN-1

Bill USN-1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 02:09 PM

Third post this week. Must be an epidemic and a search engine problem???

head problem...more ideas

#6 OllyD

OllyD

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 02:30 PM

Thanks guys. I did use the search engine, but the search engine on this site is a chocolate teapot, only allow exact phrase matches. Also, the topics i did find offered no successful solutions.

Anyway, i've managed to pull all but one stud using the two nut locking method. But the central stud is ,surprise surprise, siezed in place. I've tried rotate the head off, and got as faras the alternator (dragging it mercilessly over the bonnet lock mechanism, taking paintwork with it ^_^ ), but it will go no further with the alternator and engine number in the way. Any further thoughts?

#7 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Local Club: The Greenbank working mens social club

Posted 25 March 2007 - 03:42 PM

Try putting some releasing oil around the stud and leaving it to soak in. Then with a nut on top of the stud, try tapping it side to side with a small hammer to try and break its bond, adding more oil as you go.

#8 Cisco

Cisco

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 04:45 PM

Had a play around with mine today and managed to strip quite alot. But the head is still there!

I'm gonna buy a fence post, chop it in 3 to make a "U" frame. Put the engine on a brick, tie the head to the top of my "U" frame with some rope, remove the brick and let it hang on the head overnight with some WD40 on. Give it a jolly old smack in the morning and I hope it will come loose!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users