Photo

Any recommendations for bodywork in Cornwall.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LeeDJC

LeeDJC

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 01:58 PM

As the title says really. There's some bits and pieces that need doing on our mini including fitting of Sportspack arches and skirts. Looking for a good place to take it, that doesn't charge the earth.

Cheers!

#2 Doodles McPooh

Doodles McPooh

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 02:25 PM

Autospray need ASDA in Falmouth are ok not cheap though.

I would recommend a place called TopCoat near Mabe. Cheap high quality finish and will give discounts if you haggle

#3 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 26 March 2007 - 04:36 PM

Peter Hawlken at Nanpean is very good

#4 miniT

miniT

Puts the 'Bum' Into Bumpstart!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  • Local Club: Bumpstart Mini Club

Posted 26 March 2007 - 07:21 PM

R & J Jeffs in Camelford, done lots of work for us, excellent job and top people their work is garauntee'd for 2-3years too.

#5 mini_mission

mini_mission

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Local Club: bumpstart

Posted 28 March 2007 - 05:26 PM

ive just had mine done by a place in station road, liskeard (who shall remain nameless for the time being)

cost me an arm and a leg (4K!!), the car isnt on the road yet but the paint is already bubbling around the roof gutter and behind the front no. plate brackets. its kept indoors too. i dont think they rust proofed it before painting, is this normal practice to rust proof before painting? or only gave it one quick coat..

they welded support brackets to the a panels from the inner wing for the flip front resulting in a stupidly reduced amount of lock and the risk of some dangerous tyre shredding. reply- "it was fine when we had it" well, yeah, but didnt you think an engine was going in? or am hillclimbing fred flintstone style?

and they fitted my arches on backwards, cut them for the flip front- so there fit for the bin.

didnt bother fitting and drilling all the bolts for the roll cage (well i could do that considering i didnt pay much! eek)

made a weber bulkhead box, but didnt fit it or shape it to fit the bulkhead. so is literally just a box.

i saw them today with the reply being (sucking air through teeth)... "well, its an old car..." "its fine line between a restoration and a full restoration" etc

im so gutted, because i think they got paid a very handsome price (they had it for over a year, they certainly didnt rush it!) i thought the paint would have resisted to bubble for at least a year? or am i being harsh?

admittedly they said they will look at it when its on the road. but i dont think just looking at it is good enough. stupidly i saw astons, lagondas etc and thought they must be good.

sorry to rant/ hijack, but im so so so disappointed i want to cry, its my pride and joy that mini.

are there any professionals out there who would mind advising me?

#6 miniT

miniT

Puts the 'Bum' Into Bumpstart!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:18 PM

ive just had mine done by a place in station road, liskeard (who shall remain nameless for the time being)

cost me an arm and a leg (4K!!), the car isnt on the road yet but the paint is already bubbling around the roof gutter and behind the front no. plate brackets. its kept indoors too. i dont think they rust proofed it before painting, is this normal practice to rust proof before painting? or only gave it one quick coat..

they welded support brackets to the a panels from the inner wing for the flip front resulting in a stupidly reduced amount of lock and the risk of some dangerous tyre shredding. reply- "it was fine when we had it" well, yeah, but didnt you think an engine was going in? or am hillclimbing fred flintstone style?

and they fitted my arches on backwards, cut them for the flip front- so there fit for the bin.

didnt bother fitting and drilling all the bolts for the roll cage (well i could do that considering i didnt pay much! eek)

made a weber bulkhead box, but didnt fit it or shape it to fit the bulkhead. so is literally just a box.

i saw them today with the reply being (sucking air through teeth)... "well, its an old car..." "its fine line between a restoration and a full restoration" etc

im so gutted, because i think they got paid a very handsome price (they had it for over a year, they certainly didnt rush it!) i thought the paint would have resisted to bubble for at least a year? or am i being harsh?

admittedly they said they will look at it when its on the road. but i dont think just looking at it is good enough. stupidly i saw astons, lagondas etc and thought they must be good.

sorry to rant/ hijack, but im so so so disappointed i want to cry, its my pride and joy that mini.

are there any professionals out there who would mind advising me?

I can't offer any advice on the issue i'm afraid, just my sympathy. A few years ago my mini had some rust taken out, whole new front end and new paint all over - it wasn't a good job at all, a patch of paint flaked off the day i took her home! All this made worse by it was done by the father of someone in my club! Ouch! Never went back as didn't think he'd make a better job of it trying to patch what he'd already done.

Couple of years later she rotted out completely this is when i went for a brand new shell from moss and R&J Jeffs helped me out, they were fantastic, even down to taking progress pics for me and letting me visit as they understood me being slighty emotional over my car!

Hope you get your mini sorted out, if you need any help theres always mini minded people not far away!

#7 Bigideas

Bigideas

The Oldest Swinger In Town

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:01 PM

"saw them today with the reply being (sucking air through teeth)... "well, its an old car..." "

I hate it when they say something like that >:D

For the money you paid you deserved alot more.

#8 mini_mission

mini_mission

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Local Club: bumpstart

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:37 PM

well thanks for the sympathy, hopefully they will get it sorted out. if not, a bit of name 'n' shame is in order!

lee, learn from my mistakes, take your time finding a good 'un and dont go to a place if theres anything (no matter how small) you dont like about it, and best of luck with it :D

Edited by mini_mission, 28 March 2007 - 08:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users