#1 Gazman

Gazman

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 03:03 PM

Hi,

I have been having problems with starting my mini recently. It wouls appear I may need a new battery as it is not giving enough power. However, I have now got a starter attached and it still doesn't start properly. I can get it chugging over but will not accelerate and have to hold the accelarator at one position for it to do this. It sounds like a tractor so I'm guessing I have my HT leads on incorrectly. I sttached them in the order 1-3-4-2 but then it wouldn't start at all. I haver put them back to 1-2-3-4 as I knew this worked with the chugging and I am therefore wondering what order I should put them in and why it will (sort of) tick over with them in this order.

Here's a picture of my dizzy, please can you tell me which one should attach where.

Attached File  DSC00074.JPG   510.45K   12 downloads

Thanks

#2 syholl

syholl

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 03:20 PM

The one in the 2 o'clock position should be 1, then going round ANTI clockwise is 3,4 and 2. Make sure you go round anti clockwise though... Oh, and No 1 is the cylinder nearest the radiator (just checking you know this already...)

#3 Gazman

Gazman

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 03:21 PM

Anti clockwise?!! That'll be where I was going wrong!!

Cheers

#4 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 03:28 PM

How did you get on with your carb?

#5 Gazman

Gazman

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 03:33 PM

How do you mean? I haven't really touched it as worked out the battery wasn't giving enough juice. It worked before so no reason why it won;t now.

#6 Gazman

Gazman

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 12:53 PM

Ok, changes the leads round so they are 1-3-4-2 anticlockwise and wouldn't start at all. I didn't backfire whilst turning the key so guessing that is a good sign. However....what do I do now?! I even put it back to 1-4-3-2 as it kind of ran (like a tractor) in that position but even that wouldn't work! What is wrong with it?????

#7 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 12:56 PM

Have you been pouring fuel directly into the carb at all for these tests?

I think you should post more pics of the engine bay and detail what, if any work you did to this engine, or situation leading up to this point in time now.

#8 Gazman

Gazman

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:14 PM

Haven't done any work to the engine. It has been standing for a little while but it was started periodically with no problems (well it was temperamental but stat=rted eventually!!)until a coule of months ago.

Pics of carb....
Attached File  DSC00077.JPG   461.38K   3 downloadsAttached File  DSC00078.JPG   413.97K   9 downloadsAttached File  DSC00079.JPG   431.84K   3 downloadsSC00079.JPG]

Please help!! I'm getting a mates Dad to look at it next week who had loads of minis when he was younger but really want to get it running ASAP!!

#9 Gazman

Gazman

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:29 PM

Ok, from this picture mine is connected as follows......

Attached File  IMG_0053.jpg   171.29K   4 downloads

#1 Connects to #6 (No idea what this is!!)
#2 Nothing (Possibly a breather as spits smoke out occasionally when trying to start!)
#3 Appears to not exist but is on the opposite aside and Fuel goes in from fuel filter
#4 Nothing
#5 Vacuum to Dizzy (Pipe gets spat out occasionally when trying to start!)
#6 Connects to #1 with pipe in picture

Can anyone tell me what each of this is for????

I have been told that it is connected up wrong but I have driven it like this so can't imagine it is all wrong!!

Please help!

#10 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:36 PM

Maybe not wrong, but its certainly different to my HIF..

...definately start with the basics. Is the vac pipe connected to the dizzy? I think its no.2 that should be blocked off.

Is it turning over now just not firing? Are you getting a spark?

Where in Surrey are you?

#11 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:44 PM

I would start from scratch.

Get your leads in the right order. As Syholl says as you look at the dizzy, the HT lead thats at the 2 o'clock position goes to the cylinder nearest the rad (the right side as you look at the engine from in front of the car, just in case you have the rad in some strange position! lol ). Then, as above, working anti-clockwise around the dizzy, it goes 3, 4, 2. The leads should not go in any other sequence.

Then make sure you've got the timing set up correctly, with piston 1 at top dead center (take the spar plug out and keep sticking a screwdriver in to see where top is, or take the rocker cover off to see when the spring is depressed the most). Then use the timing marks to turn the engine on til your at 8 degrees of crank rotation (8 degrees is always a good starting point). Now, you want to turn the dizzy so that HT lead 1 is smack bang on top of the rotor arm (which should be pointing roughly towards cylinder 1).

If its still not starting take each spark plug out in turn, place it on the block (I place them where the engine number is stamped above the alternator) and make sure your getting a spark to each plug. If you not, swap over the plug and then the HT lead with one where you are getting a spark to find out which component is faulty and replace.

I find constantly trying to start the engine will have quite a drain on the battery, so I usually have the mini wired upto another car ticking over via jump leads.

Remember, where gloves when handling HT leads and plugs, wouldn't want to get zapped.

Sorry if some of the above seems a little simplistic for you (I don't know how experienced you are), but you should be able to get it at least started by following the above.

#12 Gazman

Gazman

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:52 PM

to be honest simplistic is good!!!

It is turning over but not firing and yes the dizzy piep is connected.

I'm in Surbiton.

I'll try those things and take it from there!

Thanks

#13 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:56 PM

One other thing, the vacuum (sp?) usually sits at about 12 o'clock on the dizzy, but that shouldn't matter. As long as the rotor arm is at roughly 2 o'clock when piston 1 is at TDC, and HT lead 1 is bang on top of the rotor arm after you've advanced the engine on 8 degrees, then you should be fine.

Side thought, I keep saying advance, I mean retard don't I!?

#14 ian

ian

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:34 PM

Just a thought, but could the drive not be 180 out? that would mean you would need number one lead at the 8oclock position ans so on, ive had a car like this before, give it a try

#15 Gazman

Gazman

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 09:48 AM

Finally sorted it!! It turns out that the HT leads were one out! No1 was not at 2'oclock but at 11!!

Anyway sorted now and runs like a dream! I'll tax it tomorrow and can try and get used to driving a mini again!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users