#16 $way

$way

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Local Club: ...

Posted 01 April 2007 - 11:47 AM

I'm using the All New All speed K-series Sub frame from The 16v Mini shop.

coolcool,

this is something i am considering for the next winter project, ill be interested how good/bad the frame is.

J

#17 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:49 PM

Well things just go from bad to worse!
Today I spent about 6 hours in the garage removing the rear subframe with Dam_Buster.
Got the rear jacked up, Heated rear subframe bolts up to cherry red. Started to undo them and SNAP. :xxx:

One at each side snapped clean off, And the other 2 were just spinning. After alot of looking around, I noticed another "Crack" along the bottom of the other rear quarter. Out of interest I gave it a swift bash with a hammer. And the entire of the bottom of the panel fell off the car and broke into little pieces on the floor.

Yes, MORE filler. Damn! :)

So I just went all in with the angle grinder, and cut the rear end open to get an internal Look on the rear subframe mounts.
The sills are Solid, which is good. but the back end which the rear subframe all bolts too is quite rusty. So im not really sure where I need to go with it now. Can I go over it with the grinder, grind away all the rust, Then make hefty plates for each side to bolt the rear subframe to?

Heres plenty of pictures, They speak for them selves really.

<|ben|>

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 Pie

Pie

Crazy About Mini's

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,695 posts
  • Local Club: GoGoAuto

Posted 01 April 2007 - 09:04 PM

Dare i say "looks like you've got your work cut out" lol

Intresting though.

Good luck with the project.

#19 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 09:08 PM

G BEN!! Ive never seen the bottom of the rear windows go like that before, EVER!

I tell you what, I will see if i am going to use my mini, as i have a lot of plans floating aound in my head at the moment, but if none of them get into action you are more than welcome to my shell if you want, even if you just cut sections out of it for yours or whatever.

Its just in the way!

OR spaceframe it :xxx:

#20 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 09:21 PM

Tis amazing how much filler can Hide eh.
The shell REALLY DID look clean when I picked it up. The guy who had it off me last year even said its a good nick shell.

All I can say is the filler work was really neat. Did look like it was just normal pannels.

Atleast I know how much rust its got now though. Which is LOADS. lol.

I`m just worried about getting another shell, and having the same problems. again and again. Surely this shell cant be "That" hard to put right?

#21 Pandora

Pandora

Cadwell Event organiser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Local Club: TMF Lincoln

Posted 01 April 2007 - 09:26 PM

And i thought i had problems :xxx:

#22 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 09:57 PM

And i thought i had problems :xxx:

Aha. Well all I can do is put it down to experience.
I guess it was worth cutting it open anyway because now I know exactly how the rear subframe bolts to the shell. I also know exactly how to "easy access" the rear front subby mounts internally. I know the internal sill structure now too. And I also know how to remove a front end in 10 minutes.

Im having a break from the mini for this entire week. Ive got next weekend off inc Monday. So will get a good ammount of work done in that weekend. By then I will have also decided what im going to do about it. Weather to scrap/space-frame or repair. :)

Edited by binge, 01 April 2007 - 10:07 PM.

#23 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:34 PM

Tomorrow afternoon im heading over to Berkshire to have a look at a Clubman. If I decide to get it then it should be moving into the garage in the following week or so.

I don't know what you guys think, But im at the end of my tether with this shell. I know ive already scrapped one shell before, But im regretfully going to have to do the same with this one.

If somebody suddenly decides they want a rusty shell and can pick it up this week then its theirs. If not then Medway Scrap metal will be called to collect next Monday.

#24 supermotolee

supermotolee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:06 PM

theres a good looking clumbman shell on ebay with a cage already in it seems good value...

#25 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:33 PM

Cant seem to find it.

either way I dont want to be paying out of my ar$ehole for a shell. Ive got enough to spend on this project as it is.

I am confident to replace ANY "panel" on a shell. But when it comes to replacing subby Mounts, Id rather pass! :(

<|ben|>

#26 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:53 PM

decided to get a new one then, seems the best bet mate! Did you get my Pm with the one i found? didnt look to bad. At least with mics one you can really see for youself if its what you want and not buy blind off of ebay or some where else.

Guess what... Getting my 1.8 elise block, 1.4 gti lump and my K-series subframe dropped off next weekend! You will have to come down and have a look!

#27 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:05 PM

Buying that from the clubman estate project mini?

I was looking at his 1.8 K-16. If I had £400 spare id Snatch it up.

#28 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:16 PM

Oh no, i got a Pm from a bloke i used to talk to on 16Vminiclub. He has had to give up on his project and said i could have the lot for a bargain price!

i was looking at his stuff aswell. was a bit dear for me though!

#29 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:35 PM

So how much did you get the 1.8 for then?

As soon as I finish my GTi Valver and get it on the road (About a year from now) im going to start constructing a 1.8VHPD (or VVC) block. Looking for big power, 200bhp! :(

#30 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:43 PM

£100 :( I will send you some pics of it tommorow as i am off to bed now.

I think i will build the car with the 1.4 and then put in my 1.8!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users