5 replies to this topic

#1 Big Man

Big Man

Put your trousers on---You're Nicked!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 12:40 PM

Right I intend to spray my whole A panel (no problem there) and the top of th ewing by the scuttlepanel. I intend masking off approx 12 inch by 12inch now my question is how do I stop there being a lip when I remove the masking tape. Thelip I meanis raised paint on the freshly sprayed agains the original not resprayed bit.

And yes its a newbie to paintwork type silly question.

Cheers

BM

#2 *DJH*

*DJH*

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts
  • Local Club: www.bigpower.co.uk

Posted 01 April 2007 - 01:16 PM

Right I intend to spray my whole A panel (no problem there) and the top of th ewing by the scuttlepanel. I intend masking off approx 12 inch by 12inch now my question is how do I stop there being a lip when I remove the masking tape. Thelip I meanis raised paint on the freshly sprayed agains the original not resprayed bit.

And yes its a newbie to paintwork type silly question.

Cheers

BM

You need to feather the spraying to make it blend in, and even then you'll probably need to flatten it down again.

#3 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:43 PM

Like DJH said, try and keep the paint away from the masking tape edge, idea;;y if you are using a spray gun as opposed to aerosol, go a couple of inches away from the tape edge, and dust a coat of thinners over the paint edge, to blend it into the existing paintwork. It also helps if you fold the edge of the masking tape like in my artistic diagram :xxx: this ensures that any paint that goes near your tape edge blows under the tape, preventing a hard edge.

Pete.

Attached Files

#4 DannyTip

DannyTip

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  • Local Club: A Series Magpies

Posted 01 April 2007 - 09:04 PM

It also helps if you fold the edge of the masking tape like in my artistic diagram :xxx: this ensures that any paint that goes near your tape edge blows under the tape, preventing a hard edge.

You can also get soft edge tape which works one same principal. Soft edge tape is like a long foam sausage the prevents a sharp edge.

Posted Image

Edited by DannyTip, 01 April 2007 - 09:04 PM.

#5 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:55 AM

It also helps if you fold the edge of the masking tape like in my artistic diagram :xxx: this ensures that any paint that goes near your tape edge blows under the tape, preventing a hard edge.

You can also get soft edge tape which works one same principal. Soft edge tape is like a long foam sausage the prevents a sharp edge.

yeah bloody good stuff for door shuts etc, but you can get away with more using the flap edge tape method on flat panels.

#6 Big Man

Big Man

Put your trousers on---You're Nicked!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:56 AM

Thanks for the prompt reply, will post before and after pics based on all the advice and guides I have read, so if a newbie to anysort of spraying and bodywork can do it then anyone can!

Thnaks again

BM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users