#1 rgo

rgo

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:46 AM

Hi all,

My first post in the forum and hopefully someone can assist with my problem. Long story short, had an accident to the left front, nothing big the hammer and some paint won't fix, the other car had just a scratch on the bumper but mine got more due to rust under the light. After the accident the brake pads on the left brake very unevenly making the car to vibrate heavily. On the road doing 60 mph there are no problems only when breaking. The car doesn't pull to any directions and is straight. But the steering wheel isn't exactly center any more, just a bit off.
Maybe the left wheel got some damage with that the break disc and pads?? What do you reckon? Should I go and get the wheels aligned??
Appreciate for all help,

Rgo

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:16 AM

You've knocked out the tracking or bent a tie rod (which is more likely)

Strongly suggest you get it up on some ramps and get it check out before doing any serious driving...

If one of the arms is broken the last thing you need is the suspension letting go @ 60mph...

#3 Silicon Skum

Silicon Skum

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:41 PM

The shudder when braking sound like the brake disk is warped (happend to mine when I hit a curb on an icy bend).

I also threw the tracking off and had the steering wheel off to one side a small amount. In my case the impact was strong enough to twist the front subframe, so check to make sure yours is still true and as above, check everything else under there.

SS

#4 syholl

syholl

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:33 PM

The steering wheel is supposed to be slightly off centre. This is just the way they were made.... Are you sure yours has changed...? There are some elongated holes that the column bracket fixes to. It's possible that the column has shifted slightly, but it shouldn't move very far. The only way to move it back is to undo the column support bracket and move it over a bit. You may find that the column is fixed with shear bolts, which are designed not to be removed, These are horrible to remove, but there are a number of ways of doing it...

#5 rgo

rgo

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 10:52 AM

Thanks very much for quick replies. After doing some checking last night the conclusion is that the wheel bearing has to be renewed.
All other parts seemed to be ok and not broken bent or twisted. Hopefully the new bearing will make the breaking smooth and easy.
Of course will let the wheels aligned aswell.

#6 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:33 AM

Hmm, not convinced....jack up front left wheel and check for play both horizontally and vertically (hands at 9 and 3 o clock, then hands at 12 and 6)...if you get play at 12 and 6 it suggests ball joint problems and at 3 and 9 then it suggests wheel bearing problems....but importantly these tend to be noticeable at all times, not just braking.

I would do some further investigation personally.

#7 rgo

rgo

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:11 AM

Wheel bearing is gone definitely and ball joint needs to be replaced soon. Will change both when I get the parts but takes some time, parts need to be ordered from somewhere. When both changed, then will check again and see if there are any other problems .. hope not :-

#8 rgo

rgo

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:15 AM

Wheel bearing and ball joint new and feeling the difference, also tracking was done :P Will also change the discs soon and hopefully don't have to worry about those things for a while and concentrate on other problems ;)

#9 Marky Tizz

Marky Tizz

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,434 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 09 May 2007 - 10:16 AM

How much did it cost for your tracking, and where did you go if you dont mind me asking?

#10 Jake Blues

Jake Blues

TMF Moderator

• Members
  • 2,955 posts
  • Local Club: Central Minis

Posted 09 May 2007 - 10:40 AM

The steering wheel is supposed to be slightly off centre. This is just the way they were made....

I suspect they mean that the wheel itself is now not central on the column...not that the column itself is off centre?!

How much did it cost for your tracking, and where did you go if you dont mind me asking?

Make sure they are able to do Minis...some centres can't as they don't have the kit for older style cars....especially if you have 10 inch wheels!

#11 Marky Tizz

Marky Tizz

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,434 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 09 May 2007 - 01:16 PM

I have 12" wheels ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users