#1 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:40 AM

Not a normal Mini problem!

I am using the MPi fusebox as a basis of a custom wiring loom for my road rally car. I want to add in some additional circuits but I am struggling to find the correct crimp terminals to fit the box - has anyone done this before and can advise where I can source these terminals?

I have a feeling Mini Sprocket might have come across this so I'll hope he sees this thread :-

#2 fatmini

fatmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:50 AM

are they like the red,yellow,blue mains crimps ?

or MOLEX varity ? eather way try FARNELL.com or RSWWW,com they have loads of differant types

#3 whiskymac

whiskymac

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:53 AM

Sorry to jump in on your thread, put a similar problem, I'm using an MPI loom in my city E and want to find where i can get the other half of all the connectors the loom uses so i can wire them onto headlights etc, I want to avoid chopping all the connectors off the new loom!

Thanks

#4 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:25 PM

No they're not standard insulated crimps with the colour coded insulation and, although they fit on 6.3mm blades, they aren't standard non-insulated female blades either! They look like this:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I've tried the usual suspects such as Maplin, RS, CPC etc to no avail. AutoSparks have 'a few' that they are sending to me but I doubt it will be enough.

Whiskymac - as for the other half of the connectors on the loom, I think you'll be extremely lucky to get anything as a lot of them will have been made specially i would expect. Not sure but I think the headlights will have their connector as part of the light body.

Edited by GraemeC, 18 April 2007 - 12:25 PM.

#5 fatmini

fatmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:28 PM

mmmmmmmmm yeah thats a tough 1 i have seen them before ,but dont know were to get them other than the motor industry.ie beg borrow and steel !!

Do u need to use this type of crimp tho surely there are better/easyer crimps to get hold of !

ill have an ask around for u tho ! :-

#6 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:18 PM

Maplin, RS, CPC

Hardly the usual suspects for building a car harness! :-

I've done this before, the terminals are available from Vehicle Wiring Products as 'Terminals for various mouldings'. You may also be able to find them at Pole Volt, Auto Electrical Supplies or Holden Vintage and Classic among others.

You also need the red locking bars for the fusebox as the terminals don't hold in very well on their own and if you want to fit the standard cover you need the yellow cover bar for the middle of the box that has the SRS warnings stamped on it, this is what the cover locks to. None of these are available from VWP.

As for the various connectors used in MPi harnesses, they aren't custom. Most fuel injection systems use the same connectors. I believe most of them are called Junior Power or Junior Power Timer housings but there are one or two others in used in odd places. These are also available from the above sources along with Demon Tweaks, Merlin Motorsport or anyone else you would associate with car electrical systems.

In general I think Pole Volt has the best catalogue of electrical stuff for making custom harnesses.

#7 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:35 PM

Thanks Dan, I agree, not the usual suspects for harnesses but they were the ones I was most likely to get recommended first so I was trying to sort the wheat from the chaff before I started :xxx:

I've got some from VWP that were close but too narrow. I'm going to get some of the ones they list for the modular fuse/relay box they sell as they are very similar but the crimp is turned through 90 degrees (axially). I don't *think* this will cause a problem but the 'correct' ones would have been better.

Not come across Pole Vault before so I'll have a look there :-

Junior power housings are used on a lot of the MPi sensors I think but the headlights, indicators, fan etc are all sealed plugs which I thought were a bit more difficult to source.

#8 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:36 PM

Oh and I have the bars as I have fitted the full (although very butchered) loom, just adding circuits for map lights, trip meter timer etc. Also have the yellow centre piece but that will be binned as I don't want a cover.

#9 whiskymac

whiskymac

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:53 PM

Thanks for that. Cant get to the loom as I'm up at uni, but shall have a look when I can. Im not sure if the headlights etc were on the bowls, I was hoping the same connectors would have been used on other Rovers too so I could get them and do it custom.

It for a carb car, so obviously only really interested in the connectors for headlights etc - I solved the indicator problem by just buying MPI indicators!

Thanks

#10 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:48 PM

I think you may find it difficult getting those crimps for the MPi box, may be, dunno, but try these places and see how you get on. An idea on the physical size of the terminal would be good as they doo look VERY similar to the Junior Timer connector terminals

Posted Image

The last three links i included shows virtualy every crimp and connector ever used in automotive wiring in recent years, but they look like they bulk order from outside the UK, which is a real shame.

http://www.vehicle-w...epage/home.html
http://www.simtekuk....o.php?p=1&pno=0

These two links above list the most common used connectors and terminals, Simtec list the connectors that were commonly used on Rover looms and the MPi indicator lamps use this type connector

http://www.fciconnec...l-connector.htm
http://catalog.tycoe.../...p;LG=1&I=13
http://www.86fdj.com/en/index.asp

Edited by Mini Sprocket, 18 April 2007 - 04:54 PM.

#11 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:53 PM

I think the Junior Timer connectors shown are the same as the ones I have here from VWP and are 2.9mm across the tip whereas the ones in the MPi fuse box are 4.8mm. The narrow ones don't locate proerly in the box.

Looks like Pole Volt do them though, I am going to send the guy as sample but during our phone call we were confident he had something damned similar! Got to admit, I am very impressed with their range of stuff - thanks for tip Dan.

Thanks for the links Sprocket, I'll have a browse of those tomorrow with a brew - there looks to be some interesting stuff there.

#12 whiskymac

whiskymac

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:44 PM

Oooh thanks for those links, Simtec looks like the answer!!

#13 Tumbleweed-Connection

Tumbleweed-Connection

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 26 March 2022 - 07:07 PM

Deleted

Edited by Tumbleweed-Connection, 27 March 2022 - 06:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users