#1 bigchief3679

bigchief3679

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Local Club: trinimini

Posted 21 April 2007 - 02:54 PM

heres a photo of a different conversion. uses mini gearbox, shafts, sub, shifter, everthing on standard length mini. when the bonnet closes you're clueless!!!!

Attached Files

#2 JetBLICK

JetBLICK

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • Local Club: myspace.com/worcesterretro

Posted 21 April 2007 - 03:13 PM

wow, fair play. Any more info on the conversion? and the tuning potential?

#3 bigchief3679

bigchief3679

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 06:18 PM

yeah man! this conversion took us three years to complete (Part time) and we were never entirely sure that it would work. we started by taking a 1300 mini crankshaft and cutting the end off. sent to the machinist lathe to turn down and recut the key for the flywheel lock etc and matched and bolted to the toyota crank end.
this conversion cost twice as much as a suzuki or vauxhall transplant because of all the machining. the gearbox had to be extended, oil pipe relocated..........too many things to mention. especially since all this is on a four speed box.
the torque on the engine is unbelievable!!! pulls straight from 1500 and we shift gears at 7500rpm. free standing revs of 9000 rpm. by using the original box the car feels the same as before with only slight torque steer.
the funny thing is the 4Efte engine bolts in the same place (starlet turbo engine 130hp std) and toyota engines are REALLY tunable. ur getting adjustable sprockets, mild to wild cams, alot of tuning potential but limited by the crappy british gearbox.
by december we will be trying a 5-speed nissan micra transplant in another mini. the engine and box is so small that the original subframe can be modified to fit. al post pics with that progress too.

Attached Files

Edited by bigchief3679, 21 April 2007 - 06:22 PM.

#4 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:31 PM

absolutely love it! any chance of more pictures, yes more, everything you have or even a website link if u have one! us brits love the engineering stuff, keeps our brains ticking:)

#5 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Local Club: The Greenbank working mens social club

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:03 AM

Top man absolutely love it
Its even got air con

#6 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:47 AM

wow

how did you come up with that idea ?

#7 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:57 AM

how long will the gearbox last?

#8 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:37 AM

I was just about to say Retro! Have you made any modifications to the gearbox internals? Since the box is quite a weakness of the A-series lump, especially when you start putting torque through it.

#9 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 23 April 2007 - 11:22 AM

i know it'd be a bit of an expense but that block and setup on a 5 speed jkd straight cut set would make an amazing track car, with good power and lovely high reving engine and the fact that it uses all standard mini running gear, its like a match made in heaven.

#10 bigchief3679

bigchief3679

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 02:35 PM

yea guys an engineeering achievement indeed!!
we did nothing to the internals of the gearbox, but its the newest box we could find. we hope and pray with every burnout dat the whole thing doesn't explode.
lol.
but seriously, doing a burnout the car doesnt get ANY traction to break any thing. the wheels just spin happily.
great sleeper on the road, super silent and smooth.
the jack knight sounds like a cool idea (just stupidly expensive to import to the caribbean), but i feel that if i slip in a 2.9 diff it'll be the ultimate highway cruiser because with the 3.44 it feels as if 3rd is useless. always putting in imaginary 5th gear on the highway!
al post more photos tomoro.

#11 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 03:04 PM

but seriously, doing a burnout the car doesnt get ANY traction to break any thing. the wheels just spin happily.

Its not the traction that will break stuff, its the wacking amount of torque ripping through the box as you release the clutch at 4k revs! :)

#12 lunchboy

lunchboy

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 01:47 AM

Over here in Ozz a guy has fitted a Toyota 4AGE (propper twin cam engine) on a Mini gearbox. Used a chain to drive from motor to gearbox.

#13 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:01 AM

I thought of doing something similar, but always thought i would have to pay for others to do the work (i.e. less that i could do my self) so wanted something i could do more of my self, but having done that now i could be up for a bit of engine mating.

#14 bigchief3679

bigchief3679

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:14 PM

a chain u say!
is the engine the other way around? if not itll spin the other way and have four in reverse, 1 forward.
lol. the 4a is alot more power. that gbox is doomed! love to see some pics doh!

Attached Files

#15 bigchief3679

bigchief3679

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:23 PM

more shots as promised

Edited by bigchief3679, 24 April 2007 - 02:35 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users