#16 adammini

adammini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:51 PM

Wow, amazing.

Does it share the gearbox oil like the a series or have you been able to separate the two? If that was even possible! Would be good for longlivity I expect.

Ad

#17 bigchief3679

bigchief3679

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Local Club: trinimini

Posted 24 April 2007 - 06:01 PM

naw, it uses the same oil as the gearbox, suprisingly though the oil stays really clean. on the photo you could see the extension of the oil pickup at the back of the box to the original seive/basket. another thing is the oil pump is driven by the timing belt at the lowest part of the block so it picks up oil really quickly after startup.
one problem ive been having is using the original starter. so far i've burnt 3 starters i think because of the compression of the engine. even the pre-engaged starter tumbles really slowly.
any suggestions welcome!

#18 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:21 PM

I think you can get uprated starters for the mini, but obviously they will cost more and aren't so readily available.

#19 bigchief3679

bigchief3679

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:08 PM

hey guys just a small update!
sorry to say taht its bad news though, after stripping back down to regrind my crank and fit new bearings, someone broke into my garage and stole my gearbox, 16 valve head and chrome radiator, left the block behind.
have no idea who did it, trinidad is very small, i cant imagine who could do such a thing. literally brought to tears.
deres some good news doh, i did the micra transplant after this event and it was really well done. will post photos soon, its been in the car since july and works perfect with only small mods to the original subframe on my green standard length mini. 5 speed 1000. cheers

Attached Files

#20 Bristolboy

Bristolboy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:19 PM

Sorry to hear that mate, just read the topic from beggining and it sounded awsome. Love to hear more on the micra transplant .

#21 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:27 PM

Thats a shame :wacko:
Would be good to see some pics of the micra engine install. =]

#22 chairchild

chairchild

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 10:22 AM

I was very tempted by this about 6 months ago - as the micra engine is pretty much a smaller version of the K series, and it's 100% square! Only really let down by pathetic valve sizes, and a crappy cam IMO

but then I found my V8 =]

#23 bigchief3679

bigchief3679

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 01:52 PM

well it performs like a brand new A+ 1000 engine but it revs really freely and its got the 5speed for cruising down the highway. miles per gallon is unbelievable for long runs. great thing is u can pop the subframe out and go back original or bolt the engine and sub right onto another mini. no body mods, uses the original radiator, shifter. air filter etc is all stock micra and taliking from experience its far more reliable than putting any engine on the mini gearbox!
we put in our nissan engine in two days; one for the sub and mounts and one for the finalfit, exhaust etc.

Attached Files

#24 stardude

stardude

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,457 posts
  • Local Club: hilltop mini's

Posted 08 September 2007 - 02:32 PM

:withstupid: u cant use KN mercurys as engine stands!!!! >_< they are too beautiful and getting rare

by the way, you are a god!

Edited by stardude, 08 September 2007 - 02:39 PM.

#25 bigchief3679

bigchief3679

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 03:02 PM

this mite be a stab to the heart but i've got ten mercurys for use as stands plus some revolutions, cheviots and even minilites thats only worth their weight in aluminium since in the caribbean its really hard to find 10 inch tyres. importing they cost more than 12s or 13s and we dont get the wide 165/70 or 195s like u lucky chaps in the uk!
few minis in the club still on 10s doh but fitting discs under them makes it difficult too!
latrz!

#26 stardude

stardude

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,457 posts
  • Local Club: hilltop mini's

Posted 08 September 2007 - 03:34 PM

yeah i can understand what you mean, must be hard to source certain parts aswell

#27 bigchief3679

bigchief3679

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 03:46 PM

yup, the pound is trading 1 pound=13 TT$

#28 bigchief3679

bigchief3679

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 05:05 PM

i have seen someone trying this on ausmini.com with a suzuki engine as well, but alot has changed on the mini scene recently to make this amount of work seem worth it imo.
heres the link:

http://www.ausmini.c...pic.php?t=38546

#29 trafficface09

trafficface09

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Local Club: not yet but soon

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:50 PM

sorry to hear about the project, i have 2 sujestions that i have looked at that im sure will work, firstly a hilman imp engine on a mini gearbox, or a fiat punto head on an a series block.

just to temp you a bit more heres the imp block on a mini gearbox,
Posted Image
that engine was built for another car but it would be so quick and very retro, plus the carbs you can run on that aluminium monster thing there called stormberg carbs.

#30 minimad01

minimad01

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:43 AM

well it performs like a brand new A+ 1000 engine but it revs really freely and its got the 5speed for cruising down the highway. miles per gallon is unbelievable for long runs. great thing is u can pop the subframe out and go back original or bolt the engine and sub right onto another mini. no body mods, uses the original radiator, shifter. air filter etc is all stock micra and taliking from experience its far more reliable than putting any engine on the mini gearbox!
we put in our nissan engine in two days; one for the sub and mounts and one for the finalfit, exhaust etc.

what reg was the micra engine taken from ? thinking about doing a conversion or hybred

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users