#1 scottyegg

scottyegg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 12:41 PM

well iv started my body work finaly and am unsure of of what to do

my bother has been grinding his car and the little sparks have been hitting my car and i have lots of litte metal fragments in my paint which all look ornage
how do i get them out ?

please help

#2 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:21 PM

those little orange spots are individual specks of hot steel that flew off during grinding and melted themselves into your paint - they're orange because each tiny little grind of steel is rusting.

your paint may be damaged forever as each spark may have melted through your lacquer and the base-coat - you need to remove each speck very carefully and polish back with a cutting compound like faracle paste to see just how deep each spark has gone. if its just gone shallow touch up each spot with a lacquer stick and polish back to even out.

If it was my brother I'd make him owe me a re-spray :)

#3 scottyegg

scottyegg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:55 PM

here comes the bad part then !!! its mainly all over my room ? and front area :) but i dont think its deap if i run my finger over it i can feel it on the surface !!

should i consider t- cutting the full car? or is this bad ?

#4 midridge2

midridge2

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 05:45 PM

why was your brother grinding his car in your room, do you live in the garage? do you mean the front area of your car or your front.
how do you know his car is painted in clear over base paint??
now the sensible bit, try tcutting or buffing with g3 buffing paste to remove the grind marks and see what the paint work looks like then.

#5 scottyegg

scottyegg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:56 PM

i think you read my post wrong both of our cars are outside on the front and whn hes been grinding his the hot metal fragments hav been implanting them selfs on my car

i think ill try the t-cutting idea once iv got the body work finished off

#6 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:10 PM

if the grinds are on the surface wash them off gently with soapy water ( helps avoid scratching ) and one of those slightly coarse sponges you can get this time of the year for getting fly brains off your windows.

If that doesnt work step it up a gear and use 1500 grade wet and dry sand paper - nothing but 1500 grade - and loads of slightly soapy water. rub gently in varying directions until the grinds have gone - beware though it is entirely feasible to sand right through your paint to the primer - if this happens then the grinds must have been much deeper and you were gonna need a re-paint anyway.

when it dries the surface will look matt and not very shiny but don't panic - now use Faracle paste and a 1200 rpm polishing mop with a little water on the bodywork to stop it over-heating and it'll polish up beautiful.

if all this sounds too scary take it to a body shop and get your dumb brother to pay for it to get sorted.

#7 scottyegg

scottyegg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:19 PM

thanks for yout help roofless ill finish of the body work and then try this the roof itsnt the main problem
as ill be stripping it to bare metal and painting it black its just the other parts ill post back with the results as soon as iv done it

thanks scotty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users