12 replies to this topic

#1 Chris White

Chris White

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:25 PM

I need some help figuring out how much my shell restoration should be. I've read the other posts on the subject and I think the resto guy I'm talking to might be a little high (In more ways than one) :lol: My mini needs the sills replaced, some patch work done on the floor board, and I need one of the front wings replaced. I want to get the whole thing bead blasted and repainted in a decent 2-pack.... nothing too expensive. The guy wants to charge me 4000 pounds. Am I right in thinking this is about twice what it should be? Additionally, does anyone know someone in Cambs who can do a good job at a fair price?

Chris

Attached Files

#2 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:51 PM

Depends... If your charging him to strip down the car to a bare shell, then to get it bead blasted, then to patch up everything and replace panels where neccesary, fill any slight blemishes etc., then to prep the car, prime it, and Paint it with 2pack paint, and then completely reassemble the car Then it's probably only about £600-1k too high.

If you're doing some of the work too...then yeah it's a lot of money. But sounds like you're asking him to completely rebuild your car... so 3.5k... is about right thinking of all the labour involved. :lol:

Edited by Retro_10s, 25 April 2007 - 09:53 PM.

#3 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:52 PM

I just quoted someone about £1000 for the same job , but they want to strip and refit it all for the re-spray
SO WOW i think i might just move to round your way if people are paying that (and they must be or he would not bother giving a price like that )

#4 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:54 PM

I just quoted someone about £1000 for the same job , but they want to strip and refit it all for the re-spray
SO WOW i think i might just move to round your way if people are paying that (and they must be or he would not bother giving a price like that )

yeah that's all i could think the extra money would be for. the strip and refit. Unless he gold plates cars :lol: £1000 is a great woody dude!!! :ermm:

#5 philc

philc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:15 AM

i have had mine done for £1500, i had to strip the car, which isn't a problem, that included 2 new wings, apanel, front panel, engine bay paint, inside painted, black roof and old english white body. i am picking it up today. will take pics for you to see.

#6 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:34 AM

yep, the more work you do yourself... the more money you save.

#7 Chris White

Chris White

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 04:50 PM

No,
I've stripped the car to the bare shell. Right now it is completely devoid of parts except fot the subframes. The windows are gone, the interior is gone, no engine, etc, etc.......... My plan is to take off the subframes and just give him the bare shell. I've even removed the doors, the boot, and the bonnet. He even told me it would take him until November to get to the car. I think I'm in the wrong business. I have another guy coming over this weekend to give me an estimate.

#8 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 04:52 PM

WOAH. ok he is a massive rip off in that case mate... stay away.

#9 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:49 PM

Alot of the time, if a garage doesn't want to do a job, they will give you a ridiculous quote, rather than send you away. It's easier and more profitable to work on new cars that just require a panel change and quick paint, than to work on a car that's going to use up a weeks floor space.

Pete.

#10 Chris White

Chris White

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 09:28 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the help. How much (in general) should I be paying?

#11 ROD

ROD

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts
  • Local Club: MCR

Posted 26 April 2007 - 09:50 PM

Alot of the time, if a garage doesn't want to do a job, they will give you a ridiculous quote, rather than send you away. It's easier and more profitable to work on new cars that just require a panel change and quick paint, than to work on a car that's going to use up a weeks floor space.

Pete.

Thats so true.

#12 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:57 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the help. How much (in general) should I be paying?

I'd have thought anything upto about £2000 sounds about right.

Pete

#13 cooper_shaz

cooper_shaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 10:48 AM

You could buy a brand new heritge shell with doors bonnet and boot, have it prepped and sprayed for about £3500..

Would be worth going down that route for the kind of money they are looking at.

Around £1000 - £1500 I would reckon to do the job you described.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users