6 replies to this topic

#1 cagy

cagy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:24 PM

My starter motor works but only after bumping the car a bit!!! I don't want to change it because i'm in france and it'd cost a fortune in postage etc... Is there anyway i can fix the problem myself?????

Craig

#2 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:27 PM

Take it off, pop the top and put some diesel on it. It's short term but it worked on John (the go-fer) old Nova.

#3 shashora

shashora

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 12:39 AM

Whats wrong with the starter motor i just changed mine the problem was that the head of the starter motor was all gunked with i think clutch dust or something so it wasnt spinning when the starter motor was started. I dont know the technical name for it but the head of the starter motor should spin down when its started to engage and when stopped should flick back up check if yours is stuck half way like my one and just spray degreaser and wd40 all over the b****rd mine came out like new haha

#4 JD8891

JD8891

Previously known as Soul_racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 02:15 AM

NOOO wd-40 kills starters so ive been told, wait till someone smart comes along, u could try striping and cleaning the starter it tells you how in the hbol
Cheers
JD

#5 napala turki

napala turki

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 08:11 AM

NOOO wd-40 kills starters so ive been told, wait till someone smart comes along, u could try striping and cleaning the starter it tells you how in the hbol
Cheers
JD

May be your carbon bursh and the slip ring need some clean up....
DIY ... split it out piece by piece... thats how we did to our Mini starter....

#6 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:15 AM

Assuming it's an intertia starter, then as about sounds like the brushes have seen better days...

Instead of pumping the car, you could open the bonnet and twist the starter (it has a little square dimple on the end of the shaft)

Other than that it's out and recon the starter, which in theory youcan do yourself.... as long as the comutator is still in reasonable nick..

http://www.minispare....aspx?pid=36101 (out of stock at the mo :) )

#7 cagy

cagy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 06:59 PM

No it moves down all right and springs back up but won't engage everytime i hotwire the ignition (i haven't got the key for my steering wheel lock and i'm looking for a new one MK 3 if anyone can help) so it could be the brushes i'll dismantle it this weekend and tell you what i find!!

Craig

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users