#1 Boots

Boots

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Local Club: North Devon Mini Club

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:55 AM

Well about 2 years ago i bought a blue mini mayfair 998, i had the idea of restoring her and droping a 1380 in her!

Posted Image

After helping afriend of mine with his mini i was starting to notice that the A series engines were not particulaly reliable and power was expensive, so i looked more in to the 16v options!
Meanwhile the mini was falling apart, if not i was ripping it apart(hours of fun Razz )
Once fully naked I had the shell shotblastede and etch primed then welded and resprayed in Ferrari gialofly yellow, looks amaizing and its not even polished or buffed up yet!

Posted Image

New rear subframe was fitted along with gaz shocks, hi-lo's and coil springs! Needed to make a decision as to what engine and subframe to use!
I choose the honda b16a2 and the alspeed subframe as i wanted to main tain some mini originality (although its not turnign out that way) Laughing

Posted Image
Posted Image

Again i stripped the engine(not the internals) and set to work on cleaning her up and painting!

vvvv As the engine curently sits in my garage vvvvvvv
Posted Image

Also fited the front subframe, shocks, brakes, etc!

And this is her now! ( the subframe is designed to fit in a standard length roundnose!

Posted Image
Posted Image

I will update as often as i can!

Steve

#2 Boots

Boots

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:59 AM

Also droped engine in!

I needed to move the engine and car out of teh garage for a bit of a tidy up! so i thought id put it in the subframe for safe keeping (wont lose it there!) Wink

It looks awsome!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pics are not great as taken with my phone Embarassed

But it looks so coool Cool

HEHE

Steve

#3 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 02:10 PM

what subframe are you using?

#4 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 07 May 2007 - 02:14 PM

Allspeed one it says

#5 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 02:53 PM

oh yeah oops

#6 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:03 PM

Looks nice all painted up. Will you have enough room to fit a pipe on the inlet to get a filter on the end?

#7 Boots

Boots

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:15 PM

The picture looks like you almost cant fit a pipe, but admitedly its close, but yes i can fit one!

Im just awaiting on my flip front and boot lid from smudger, so exspect some more pics when its fitted!

Steve

#8 nmt_oli

nmt_oli

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:14 PM

hi hi stevie pie!

The riv run woke you up mini wise then! Tis looking sweet, we should bother be able to beat prawn with our 16v monsters by the end of the summer!

#9 aussie

aussie

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 10:40 PM

lucky git!

#10 GiroUnit

GiroUnit

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Local Club: Standlake!

Posted 26 May 2007 - 08:34 PM

mint.. good luck with it :blink:

#11 Prawn

Prawn

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 28 May 2007 - 11:57 PM

hi hi stevie pie!

The riv run woke you up mini wise then! Tis looking sweet, we should bother be able to beat prawn with our 16v monsters by the end of the summer!

you shut your face oily bear! i got an audi a3 turbo for less than you paid for your engine :dontgetit: if its a valve war you want, your still 4 short ;) and once ive 'fiddled' my gorgeous 5port over summer it wont be exactly slow come combe in september!

it was me that started you off on the whole mini thing steve, so you best not come and spoil my fun by building a faster car than mine :P

lucky git!

hello matey!

long time no speak! ive been so busy sinse the run ive not been able to get in contact at all!

if you read this, drop me a PM with your msn addy if you have one, be good to catch up again :teehee:

#12 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:09 AM

you shut your face oily bear! i got an audi a3 turbo for less than you paid for your engine :teehee: if its a valve war you want, your still 4 short ;) and once ive 'fiddled' my gorgeous 5port over summer it wont be exactly slow come combe in september!

But you've bought a car with no character thats built to last ten years! :dontgetit: :P

#13 Boots

Boots

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:00 PM

haha, prawn it takes a great man to inspire others but it takes another man to be greatly inspired! wow check that out, phylosophy!

OK i havent been updating not that anything has really happend latelly!

my aim is to have this beast on the road for september castle combe ;D so to reach this goal, i have today purchased:

1. distributor
2. alternater
3. optima red top battery :proud:

also i have fitted a mpi fuel tank, fuel lines are ready to be plumbed in! will do that in the next few days!
Then its the wiring that gonna b e a mission and a half!

AND the best part smudger has come up trumps, my front and bootlid are being picked up from him on monday, the poor guy has not been having much luck lately!

Will report back soon!

Steve

#14 samwell

samwell

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • Local Club: SC Spammers

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:31 PM

how is smudger? havnt been eble to get in touch with him lately. Is he pretty snowed under or not got anywhere to work?
i love your project tho. How much was ur engine? Dyu have a budget for the basic car setup?
also how did u get ur engine so clean?

samwell

#15 Boots

Boots

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:22 AM

He hasnt been very well! but hopfully hes on the mend now!

I spent about 3 days with gt85 and a rag just cleaning the C**p off it, then when nice and clean painted it with engine enamel!

Engien was £600, that included gear linkage, gear box, engine loom and ecu, i dont really have a budget at the mo im just doing all that i can to get it on the road!

Steve

Edited by Boots, 31 May 2007 - 08:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users