9 replies to this topic

#1 tom

tom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 01:29 AM

So I wired up my sound system. An Alpine 9823 and a couple of Alpine SPE-6903 6×9s. On the volume scale of the headunit, it goes up to 35, but my speakers distort something awful at around 20, even woithout the bass engine engaged. It's loud at 20, but not that loud. I'm a bit dissapointed, really, it's all new gear.

Any ideas why it would be distorting so low down?

#2 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 17 November 2004 - 11:22 AM

probably, because ur speakers are underpowered.... or they are mounted incorrectly, if u put an amp thru ur speakers u might find they distort less and are louder.

#3 tom

tom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 03:03 PM

They're not underpowered. The HU amp is rated at 50W, so around 25-30W RMS, and the speakers are rated at 30W RMS, 180W Reak. So that's about right, and they're mounted on a under seat speaker board, if that makes any difference.

#4 rob mini

rob mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 06:36 PM

i moved my 6x9's to under the seat board and found SQ went right downhill and caused a few vibrations that sounded like distortions at first but wasnt. see if you can get some cheapo 4 inch speakers in the front, they make a hell of a difference!

rob

#5 tom

tom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 07:27 PM

I have some 10cm speakers, but just haven't put them in yet. I'll do that ASAP.

#6 icecavern

icecavern

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 08:40 AM

They're not underpowered. The HU amp is rated at 50W, so around 25-30W RMS, and the speakers are rated at 30W RMS, 180W Reak. So that's about right, and they're mounted on a under seat speaker board, if that makes any difference.

You say 25-30wmrs but that's unlikely. To be honest you're probably getting at most 15-20wrms out of your HU. The amps inside them aren't that good otherwise you'd need a bigger fuse :-

Try using the crossover functions of the HU ( I think that one has them ) to cut frequencies below say 80hz and I think you'll see a big difference. I suspect it's that the speakers can't handle the amount of bass being put through them.

Pete

#7 a2lt16v

a2lt16v

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 09:07 AM

amp the speakers you will be amazed

#8 tom

tom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 05:20 PM

I wish I had the cash. Currently, I'm as broke as a joke.

#9 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 09:43 PM

i'd definately amp the speakers regardless of the wattage from your headunit, also you'd be better sticking them in the shelf because the boot will act as a much bigger box and the imaging from those speaker boards is less than ideal.
Almost any set of 6x9's should sound good one the rear shelf in a mini, one thing that is worth doing is sealing the boot as best you can so that it will act like an enclosure for the speakers,
Also have you got the speakers wired 'in-phase' this is one of the most common things i see on installs and it makes all the difference. This is easy to tell just set the volume at a reasonable level and put the fader over to one side, if there is more bass then your speakers are out of phase

#10 tom

tom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 01:56 PM

Nice one lads, thanks for the input, I'll have a play around with it later on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users