#1 96 Vert

96 Vert

Learner Driver

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Local Club: been there done that

Posted 11 May 2007 - 04:51 AM

So lately the brakes on my 96 spi mini have been acting real weird. I coud be driving around town without a problem, and then out of the blue i go to brake and I can feel a thump in the pedal, and when i press harder on the pedal, the brakes start studdering (feels like when you drive over those reflective road markers) Again this only happens once in a while. Sometimes 2 or 3 times in a row, and sometimes only once every 30 or so brake stops. I checked the fluid level, and its in tip top shape. The brakes dont feel squisshy, like there is air in the lines, but I am going to try to bleed them this weekend.
Any ideas what this could be????

Thanks
John

#2 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 06:00 AM

what are the condition of the pads and discs?

could be a warped disc, sticking caliper, very low pads uneven wear....

#3 TrialsLife

TrialsLife

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Local Club: BAD MC

Posted 11 May 2007 - 07:29 AM

Check that you havn't contaminated your pads or disks with oil from somewhere, that can cause a studdering. If they have been contaminated the pads will have a glazed affect on them. Repalce the pads and clean the disks.

#4 96 Vert

96 Vert

Learner Driver

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Local Club: been there done that

Posted 13 May 2007 - 04:34 AM

Check that you havn't contaminated your pads or disks with oil from somewhere, that can cause a studdering. If they have been contaminated the pads will have a glazed affect on them. Repalce the pads and clean the disks.

Yup the rear drum pads on the drivers side were contaminated somehow and had a weird glaze on them. All changed, but now i have the squisshy pedal. and the E-brake doesnt work. I bled the brakes twice and its still not where it should be. I havent adjusted the E-brake tension yet. I think I might need a new brake cylinder. I changed both rears over 2 years ago, and it needs replacing again!! Very little brake fluid is making its way past the seal. Even though it not dripping out after every pump, it still becomes rather moist to the touch.
Any ideas what the size is for a 96 mini? There are a few choices and im not sure which one to choose:

REAR WHEEL CYLINDERS LATE MODEL

(1) REAR WHEEL CYL. LATE MODELS, .5"

(2) 9/16" rear wheel cylinder. Originally used for ERA Turbo and some diagonal split systems in the mid-70s. The only difference is a locating dowel in the back of the cylinder which can easily be removed or the backplate drilled.

(3) All later models have these 3/4" double piston cylinders for the rear brakes. If yours leak, the only sure repair is replacement. As used on all MK2 and later models with the exception of a few models that used the GWC1126.

(4) BRAKE WHEEL CYLINDER REAR LATE 11/16

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users