6 replies to this topic

#1 tank8637

tank8637

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:46 PM

is it possible to wire two seperate switches for side lights and main beam rather than the 3-position rocker switch?

im looking into fitting a set of savage push button led switches and they dont make a 3 way switch (no1 does! only in a mini eh?!)

cheers

james

#2 minislapper

minislapper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:03 PM

Best check what the MOT regs say about it as there maybe a rule of preventing them both being on at the same time which will take some clever wiring with two switches!

#3 edjohnson

edjohnson

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:32 PM

your side lights are on at the same time as the head lights arent they? otherwise you would be left with no light if your bulb went.

most cars have a three way rocker switch for the lights.

wiring the lights so that the main lights come on only if the the sidelights are switched on would be a good idea, so that if the the main beam failed whilst driving your still safe

other wise you could be left with no light

#4 syholl

syholl

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:41 PM

I used them on my Mini Van, and had 3 seperate switches. One for side lights, one for headlights and one for main beam, as i used a Mk1 indicator stalk without the main beam switch. Never had any problems with MOTs. The side lights should be on at the same time as headlights.

Attached File  dash.jpg   308.39K   16 downloads

#5 lemmingzappa

lemmingzappa

Tubby White Ninja!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:00 PM

Attached File  dash.jpg   308.39K   16 downloads

omg that looks immaculate !

#6 minipip

minipip

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • Local Club: TMF SE

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:03 PM

i have 2 rocker switches on mine and the 6 MOT's he failed none of them has the switch/s as a failure, im using 2 rocker switches as i couldent get my mits on a proper mini switch. one works like the power to the curcet the other switches between side and dip.

#7 syholl

syholl

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:13 PM

If you are using the savage switches, make sure you dim the LEDs down a bit. They are stupidly bright, and they affect your night time driving vision. Mind you, i used 10 of them in mine, which is a bit OTT, but damn are they bright...!!! I used resistors inline to the ones that are on during normal driving conditions, and left the others bright, such as main beam, hazards etc...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users