Rew

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Local Club: unsure

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:15 PM

Guys,

This is probably a stupid question but its an answer I cannot seem to find. I need to swap my manifold on my MPI cooper as I think it is blowing. General opinion of the Maniflow LCB seems to be good so I will look to possibly buy one of these ( unless you guys suggest otherwise ).

Thing is, will it change the exhaust note in any way? The car currently runs a small bore play mini side exit.

Many thanks
Andy

#2 vasi

vasi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Local Club: Minis 'n' Oatcakes

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:10 PM

Not usually one to state the obvious, but, if your exhaust is blowing then yes, replacing the manifold will indeed alter the tone.

#3 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:29 PM

it'll make it less like a tractor mate. :)

#4 Rew

Rew

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:39 PM

it'll make it less like a tractor mate. :)

Guys,

It has only got a slight crack to it on one of the welds that seems to have come on over the past few months. Cannot here it blowing as such, just when the engine is cold, I can here it pop and crackle on the over run up near the front. After a few mins it stops once it expands with the heat.

Never fitted a performance manifold to any of my cars in the past so was wondering if I would notice a difference. I have been told they can make the exhaust note a bit more raspy but don't want to take just one persons word for it.

#5 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:46 PM

if you have a crak in your exhaust it will indeed change the tone as more air is escaping... if you imagine a flag flapping in the wind... this is the kjinda noise a medium blow makes. It will make the car quieter and boomier by fixing the blow.

#6 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:23 PM

I've got an LCB from Maniflow and I noticed a more sportier note once it was fitted. I already had a Maniflow twin-box side exit system fitted, but fitting the LCB seemed to add to the effect, but not make it any more noisier at speed.

Fitting a K&N bolt on cone filter added the noise, but I love the sound it makes anyway.

So go for it because Maniflow products are excellent and so is their service, but just make sure your downpipe is secured to the rear/side of your gearbox via the little bracket, because if it's loose or not attached then your manifold will fracture when your engine moves and puts pressure on it.

Possibly what's happened to your existing manifold perhaps?

#7 Barnett

Barnett

Michael Jackson has died...*plop*

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts
  • Local Club: the freeeeloader!!

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:30 PM

ive got one too...love the humming tone it throws out at 4000rpm in 3rd and 4th, its like a tune...i wait till the motor gets to 110kmh then it goes at 120kmh...and comes back at 160kmh and gets louder...

Still pretty pi$$ed though...oil leak!! BIGTHACKINGTIME!!!

Edited by Barnett, 15 May 2007 - 08:32 PM.

#8 Yeti

Yeti

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Local Club: I don't play well with others

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:38 PM

This may seem like a small steal of the tread.... But whats the diffrent between a Maniflow LCB and a cheap/normal LCB. Apart from the construction quality.... I have the cheap kind :(

Mr Benn

#9 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:49 PM

Perhaps the Maniflow is more likely to fit without any problems (mine did) and will go the distance too (mines been on there for about a decade now and still looks and sounds good).

#10 jonny d

jonny d

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:12 PM

Ihave the millenium B/B on mine and it does sound good not overly loud just
like it should be

#11 TrialsLife

TrialsLife

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Local Club: BAD MC

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:16 PM

It dosn't make a huge difference. It does change the tone but dosn't make it louder or quiter.

I fitted a lcb to my SPi before and it made a good bit of difference to the performance.

#12 Rew

Rew

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 05:22 PM

Thanks guys, was happy to have a more agressive note but did not want the increase in volume.

Andy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users