#1 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:26 PM

The 1380 has a piston ring issue and i will be taking the stealth off the road after L2B to get the engine out and rebuild it... morelike pay someone else to do it.... anyhoo...having done maybe 1500 miles like this, i'm reckoning that the bore of whichever poston has the damaged ring could be shot... since i have no more room to bore out, can i line the bore or should i just get a new block and start again....

I'm happy with the head, cam and gearbox, but its smoking and loosing oil lots now and i can't get it rolling roaded or hit the nitrous until its done...

What options do i have? i can get the engine out no bother but i don't have the time or space to do a rebuild... who should i aproach to do it and how much am i looking at to get a new block built up and fitted

#2 Road Runner

Road Runner

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:54 PM

Take it over to Rob Walker or have a word with Chris Newlands in Minster lovell I know he builds up Robs engines when he is busy.

#3 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:24 PM

Find another block and have that machined to 73.5mm, buy a new set of rings and use everything else. It will be far cheeper than having the block linered and a new set of smaller pistons

#4 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:59 AM

Yes you wouldn't be able to liner the block and still keep the same displacement, you'd have to go smaller or the liners would end up paper thin. In fact with the block offset bored it's probably impossible to fit liners. You do have one more oversize left though if you can find some 74mm pistons and someone who can machine it for you. It all depends on how bad the damage is and if the bores are currently spaced well enough to allow a 74mm bore. You'd have a 1399 then though.

#5 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 16 May 2007 - 03:39 PM

Take it over to Rob Walker or have a word with Chris Newlands in Minster lovell I know he builds up Robs engines when he is busy.

Minster lovell is not far from me... do have further details on Chris Newlands??

Find another block and have that machined to 73.5mm, buy a new set of rings and use everything else. It will be far cheeper than having the block linered and a new set of smaller pistons

I think thats going to be the way i go... Obviously i need to see how bad its scored as i dont want to replace it if it doesn't need it... or is it more than likely nailed if i'ts been built that way??

Yes you wouldn't be able to liner the block and still keep the same displacement, you'd have to go smaller or the liners would end up paper thin. In fact with the block offset bored it's probably impossible to fit liners. You do have one more oversize left though if you can find some 74mm pistons and someone who can machine it for you. It all depends on how bad the damage is and if the bores are currently spaced well enough to allow a 74mm bore. You'd have a 1399 then though.

I thought i was on the limit at 73.5.... i'd be a fool to run nitrous on that though wouldn't I (he says waiting to be called a fool for using it on anything!)

#6 stickycreambun

stickycreambun

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:34 PM

ha ha Gavs a fool!!

well asked for that didnt you...

but maybe you want to be finding out why you have this piston ring issue, would really suck to go to 74mm then be shafted again in 5k. I rekon do another block to 73.5, could always keep current block for a later date...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users