8 replies to this topic

#1 tricky123

tricky123

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:48 PM

Iv`e just aquired a 1275 A+ engine with a pre-verto clutch, and iv`e read that the early ones did indeed have this set up.
There is no starter with it so am i right in assuming i need an inertia starter . Can anyone please clarify . and if so can the flywheel be adapted to take a pre-engaged starter. Any help greatfully received.

#2 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:53 PM

If you've got a verto flywheel and cover plate lying around, then just fit that, providing you fit the correct slave cylinder. Then you can use the inertia starter.

If not then you can get different ring gears that'll allow you to run verto/inertia or non-verto/pre-engaged, but I think you need to start with a new flywheel.

Better to swap the whole lot if you've got a later engine.

#3 tricky123

tricky123

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:18 PM

If you've got a verto flywheel and cover plate lying around, then just fit that, providing you fit the correct slave cylinder. Then you can use the inertia starter.

If not then you can get different ring gears that'll allow you to run verto/inertia or non-verto/pre-engaged, but I think you need to start with a new flywheel.

Better to swap the whole lot if you've got a later engine.

Yes i have got a verto flywheel that i could use but i want to keep the pre-verto clutch, are they compatable ?

#4 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:20 PM

No - best bet then is to see a machine shop about pressing the pre-engaged ring gear onto the pre-verto flywheel.

#5 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:30 PM

Check the cluch FAQ. You can indeed put the pre-engaged ring gear on the pre-verto flywheel if you like but I think you also need to spacer out the starter motor from the drop gear case when you fit this combination. Can't quite remember off the top of my head, it's in the FAQ. All pre-verto flywheels would be innertia as standard. What setup do you have now?

Any good engineer would be able to swap the ring gear for you, it only needs heating and smacking with a chisel.

#6 tricky123

tricky123

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 10:53 PM

Check the cluch FAQ. You can indeed put the pre-engaged ring gear on the pre-verto flywheel if you like but I think you also need to spacer out the starter motor from the drop gear case when you fit this combination. Can't quite remember off the top of my head, it's in the FAQ. All pre-verto flywheels would be innertia as standard. What setup do you have now?

Any good engineer would be able to swap the ring gear for you, it only needs heating and smacking with a chisel.

Cheers Dan , i have a cooper, 1275 A+ with verto and have aquired an early 1275 A+ with pre-verto over bored +030 (does that make it a 1293) and no starter motor in it.
So i`m wondering which is the best course of action ,should i just get an inertia starter or try and adapt it to take pre engaged , but after reading the clutch FAQ i want to keep the pre verto clutch.

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:55 AM

It'd be easiest to swap the ring gear and use a pre-engaged clutch, to use an innertia starter you'll have to modify wiring and to be honest the pre-engaged works a lot better. If you wnated to get a lightweight flywheel for it they are available with the pre-engaged gear already shrunk in place.

#8 Petes.one

Petes.one

Passed Test

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 18 May 2007 - 12:57 PM

If you get an engineer to put a pre-engaged type starter ring onto your pre-verto flywheel, remember to ask him to reverse the bevelled edge on the ring gear teeth before attaching it. The edge of the teeth are slightly chamferred on the side the starter pinion engages from. The earlier starter pulled the pinion gear in; the pre-engaged pushes it away from the starter body. I've seen the pre-engaged type ring gear fitted to a solid early flywheel with the chamfer on the same side as the original 107 tooth ring. That meant some careful work with a file!

#9 tricky123

tricky123

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:20 PM

If you get an engineer to put a pre-engaged type starter ring onto your pre-verto flywheel, remember to ask him to reverse the bevelled edge on the ring gear teeth before attaching it. The edge of the teeth are slightly chamferred on the side the starter pinion engages from. The earlier starter pulled the pinion gear in; the pre-engaged pushes it away from the starter body. I've seen the pre-engaged type ring gear fitted to a solid early flywheel with the chamfer on the same side as the original 107 tooth ring. That meant some careful work with a file!

Thanks for your help guys , just need to find an engineer now or fork out £100 ish for one already done from minispares, or has anyone got a verto flywheel for sale or swap for my spi one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users