11 replies to this topic

#1 london1380

london1380

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:46 PM

What's going on here? I can understand why you might want to weld up the diff but why machine off a shaft?Attached File  P1000173_copy.jpg   538.53K   69 downloads

#2 tino

tino

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 12:09 AM

You want to go round in circles?

I have no idea.

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 20 May 2007 - 05:47 AM

It's been welded up for a start which means the output shaft will always turn... why it only has the one output shaft I dont know but all the power will be delivered to whatever's connected to it..

The only thing whic comes to mind is running the car on 2 wheels, russ swift stylee

unless of course the shaft hasn't been machined off and it's snapped ??

#4 icklemini

icklemini

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:51 PM

would suggest that the shaft has broke - probably because of 'windup' due to the fact the diff is welded up.

ttfn,
Dave

#5 AlexM

AlexM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Local Club: NMOC, ECMC

Posted 20 May 2007 - 11:24 PM

would suggest that the shaft has broke - probably because of 'windup' due to the fact the diff is welded up.

ttfn,
Dave

whats windup?

#6 GiroUnit

GiroUnit

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Local Club: Standlake!

Posted 20 May 2007 - 11:41 PM

id say its from a short circuit racer.. mini stox or hot rod like mine where we pretty much all run locked diff's.. cant think of any other reason you would want to lock a diff unless you want arms like popeye! and its just snapped the shaft clean off.. seen it happen a few times with a locked diff.. once when it was being loaded onto the trailer :thumbsup:

Edited by GiroUnit, 20 May 2007 - 11:44 PM.

#7 Matrix

Matrix

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:35 AM

Seen some thing simalar once before...it was fitted to a trike but instead off running with drive shaft's it had a sprock and chain fitted. Odd way of doing it but maybe the reson? duno?????

#8 london1380

london1380

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:59 AM

I think GW and Giro are probably right - it is snapped. Better angle in the photo below. It came from a gearbox that came with a new engine I bought to put in my car. I was told the box was a standard one from a metro so I was expecting a 3.1 or 3.4 FD and turned out to have a 3.7 and welded/broken diff! Not that I mind the 3.7 particularly - it'll be fun at least!

Suppose I should check the rest of the box over - but don't really know where to start looking. Any tell-tales apart from a broken diff that would indicate it's fubar'd?

Attached File  P1000174_copy.jpg   472.17K   25 downloads

#9 SQUADDIE

SQUADDIE

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:03 PM

Hi, sometimes you use a diff like that for dyno work, and swap the diff from box to box if that makes any sence.We wielded the diffs up when I work at Longbridge, mini plus Pg1 gearboxes just for the power take off to the dyno, as you only need the one shaft plus the diff locked, to turn it over.

#10 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:13 PM

There was a motor bike that used a mini engine mounted north/south with the diff welded up and one drive shaft to the back wheel

#11 icklemini

icklemini

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:25 PM

whats windup?

whats happens when the diffs and such are locked (4 wheel drives without a centre diff too)
- the differencies in the rotation means that the transmission 'winds up', and somethings gotta give, at best it could be that the tyres slip, at worst: things start breaking...

with the one in the pic, cant see why you would want to machine one output shaft down to make it a 'single output' setup... could just fit the one output and with the welded up diff still have the same outcome.

or indeed, fit both outputs, and with the welded up diff, they would both turn anyway :s

hth,
Dave

#12 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:13 AM

That last photo does look more machined than a wind-up failure. Looks a very clean flat surface.

However, if that has been machined off then there is no way to fit a pot joint. And with no pot joint there is gaping hole in the diff side cover! I suppose a plate could be tig welded over the side cover but its a lot of work.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users