#1 andrewinlondon

andrewinlondon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 02:03 PM

Hi,

I thought I'd share a simple security measure I learnt from my dad.

Living in London I wanted a visible and effective theft deterrent on my mini.

A simple and cheap option is to use a chain and padlock set. You simply attach and lock one end of the chain to the base of your front seat, and the other end then loops through your steering wheel and is padlocked on itself.

You can buy a plastic coated security chain from your local hardware store (like the bikers use).

I recommend a substantial circular padlock (advertised as pick-proof and largely indestructible) as the prime lock. The padlock for under the seat just needs to be good quality.

The chain stores under the front seat when driving, and is easy to pull out when you want to lock the car.

The idea is that most would be thieves come prepared to defeat a lot of the marketed steering wheel clamps etc, plus they're a pain to store etc. The chain would require a sizable pair of bolt-cutters to overcome, which I'm hoping most would-be thieves don't carry around as standard gear.

I realise it won't stop a determined thief, but then who would want to steal a mini, right? It's main purpose is to deter the joy-riders, kids and druggies who look for quick opportunities. ie, this sends a visible message to find the next car along that won't be such a pain to steal.

Hope this helps.... :cheese:

Cheers,

#2 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,638 posts
  • Local Club: Grimsby & Louth MOC

Posted 25 November 2004 - 07:13 PM

good idea that, cheers

#3 Miniman

Miniman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 10:13 AM

nice idea

#4 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 26 November 2004 - 10:53 AM

Thats a really good idea thanks for that!

#5 psycho mini driver

psycho mini driver

1 Gold Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 10:45 PM

i have a motorbike chain, my uncle got it from a bike show for £3, they RRP for like £40. its one you cant even saw through, and i have used this a few times if i have been santapod or other large places.

#6 The Roadie

The Roadie

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 08:26 PM

And theyre called boltcutters.............
Can get a nightstick from Halfords for about £30 and you can't drive a mini with one of them on, because it hits the pillars and the seat unlike in other cars where you can still drive them!
Will deter %90 of thieves, but if you get some proffessionals they'll still get it. Or nick the battery.

#7 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 09:27 PM

What im doing eventually is getting a toggle switch, finding the ignition wire and making the cable run back to somwhere in the car so when i leave i flick the switch and there will be no power to the ignition.

#8 smudgersmb

smudgersmb

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 11:00 PM

I have a Halfords Steering wheel lock/bar thing together with a bike chain that goes thru my alloys then around the bottom arm so that if car is moved the chain snags on the bottom arms. Rather knacker the bottom arm than lose the car!

Next up is a removable steering wheel.

Oh, and a new custom loom so I can fit a Cat 1 Alarm Immobiliser!

#9 rob mini

rob mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 10:24 AM

i just got a twin stage immoblise fitted professionally, you know its gunna work right and it does bring ur insurance down. im looking into a removable steering wheel though, whos gunna nick a car without a steerin wheel?

rob

#10 The Roadie

The Roadie

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 10:57 PM

Good idea. I'm thinking about that. Its worth having the "Mr Bean" stigma of taking the wheel off ure mini to save the car.

#11 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,638 posts
  • Local Club: Grimsby & Louth MOC

Posted 05 December 2004 - 10:39 PM

im thinking of a snap off boss steering wheel

sell the boss at work, so i'll get it on discount :lol:

#12 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 10:03 AM

how much is a snap off steering wheel?
where can you get them from?

#13 YoungUn

YoungUn

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Local Club: F.A.B.M.O.C

Posted 07 December 2004 - 05:10 PM

i suppose you can get them from most accessory stores or somewhere like 'demontweaks'

but where are you going to store your steering wheel when you are walking round a supermarket - or town or somewhere similar, wont it be a bit big to be carrying around?

#14 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 05:03 AM

What im doing eventually is getting a toggle switch, finding the ignition wire and making the cable run back to somwhere in the car so when i leave i flick the switch and there will be no power to the ignition.

If you do that. Put the switch as far back as you can. make the cut in the ignition wire WELL away from the ignition barrel because if they see the brake in the wire. they will just hotwire it from before the break. :cheese:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users