#1 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:01 PM

After my various injuries and and ailments over the last year, i have gained about 3 stone.. i was finally declared fit for work last week by my GP and i have a Medical with the fire service on 4th june.... I have also applied for jobs in thames valley Police and the Royal Air Force and so i have begun a strict training regime and i am running 5 miles 3 or 4 times a week and eating lots of porridge and snacking on bowls of muesli throughout the day...

My current weight is 19 1/2 stone (125 Kg/275lb) and i'm looking to loose upto 1 stone per month and hopefully a bit more... The fire service are not too concerned with weight as long as you can pass a Chester Step test... if i fail it on 4th June, i'll be on light duties until i can pass it.

I have an RAF presentation on 31st May and the Officer at the careers office will be away for all of June so i won't get an interview until July and then hopefully the 4 day assesment sometime after that.

My Target weight will be 16stone (100kg/220lb) for around the middle of August though i'll accept 17 stone so long as i can meet the RAF targets... these are much higher than for the police or the fire service.

I've lost weight and got fit before but never had to reach these sorts of targets so i am doing as much as possible without risking injury.. The weekend didn't help with alcohol and lots of sausages :- but i did the 5 mile circuit last night and i've been exeptionally good today..

anyway, hopefully this will help me keep track of what i'm trying to do and i'll do a weigh in every Monday night!!!

#2 CanadianMiniFan

CanadianMiniFan

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 12:30 AM

will there be spanners involved? because that's what a project is :- but good luck with it.

#3 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 06:15 AM

what are you appying to be in the RAF??

Will gladly help with any info i can.

Edited by miniboo, 22 May 2007 - 06:18 AM.

#4 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 06:35 AM

what are you appying to be in the RAF??

Will gladly help with any info i can.

WSop (crewman) My mate is on Chinooks and has arranged for a few days on squadron with him in the next few weeks... though they are getting ready for afghanistan so i may not get there.

Another of my mates died in a Puma Crash in Iraq on 17th April, and it got me thinking about applying again but i didn't do anything about it... 2 weeks ago (the day we got the clubby) we had been for a long drive and came back into witney on the A40 we could see a large vehicle Convoy coming towards us so i got the kids with there faces agaist the window to see what it was and low and behold it was the two crashed puma's on there way from Brize Norton to Benson.. left a bit of a lump in my throat, but they were in tact (other than no rotors or tails) so i woke up the next week at 5am, having come off the Prozac a few days before, the sun was shinning and i got up and went running!!! and i was at the careers office in oxford at 8am ready for it to open.

#5 Big_jim

Big_jim

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:09 PM

Good luck to you gav....

I lost 5 stone last year, Took some doing but wasnt too bad, i had it to loose (23and a hald stone down to 18 and a half...)

Hope you can do it, keep us informed...

Thanks
Jim

#6 *DJH*

*DJH*

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts
  • Local Club: www.bigpower.co.uk

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:55 PM

BigGav
BigGut :-

#7 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 06:21 PM

i got from 21 stone to 14 stone when i joined the fire service, so i'm sure i can do it again!!!!!

#8 Don't Panic

Don't Panic

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:37 PM

FYI

You might find it useful to cross-train, i.e. don't rely totally on running, try swimming and cycling too. These activities use different muscle groups, you'll find you can alternate between them easier, also this develops your muscles more evenly and more muscle burns more calories so you'll loose weight faster.

Good Luck

#9 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:43 PM

FYI

You might find it useful to cross-train, i.e. don't rely totally on running, try swimming and cycling too. These activities use different muscle groups, you'll find you can alternate between them easier, also this develops your muscles more evenly and more muscle burns more calories so you'll loose weight faster.

Good Luck

Due to the recovery time from my running exploits, i can only run 2 or 3 times a week, i'm aiming for Sundays, Wednesdays and Fridays and. i've been cyling the kids to and from school everyday and using the firestation rowing machine when i'm down there.. hoping to start swimming next week at 7am on tuesday and thursday.. i did have access to a free weights gym but all the kit is now in storage :thumbsup: may have to go t the sports centre gym.

#10 Marky Tizz

Marky Tizz

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,434 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 23 May 2007 - 10:42 AM

Good luck Gav!

#11 Matt

Matt

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,703 posts
  • Local Club: The mini forum - i live here

Posted 23 May 2007 - 01:12 PM

gav i might give this ago...

im a fat git.. and your not really.. lol

#12 CooperTrooper

CooperTrooper

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield Mini Club

Posted 23 May 2007 - 01:27 PM

Gav, get on the climber if they have one, burns serious calories, cuts weight and is intense which is what you need to cut back.

Good luck!

#13 Bounce

Bounce

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:45 PM

'Get some! Get Some! YEA!!!! Ha ha'

IMO Swimming is the best exercise out there. Works from the core out and is a zero-impact exercise! Great for CV and toning.

Ive got a couple of mates at Brize if you fancy having a look around Tri-stars or C-17's? Its the other half of being a loadie remember.

#14 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 03:10 PM

'Get some! Get Some! YEA!!!! Ha ha'

IMO Swimming is the best exercise out there. Works from the core out and is a zero-impact exercise! Great for CV and toning.

Ive got a couple of mates at Brize if you fancy having a look around Tri-stars or C-17's? Its the other half of being a loadie remember.

I did my work experience with 101 Squadron when i was 15 and was able to carry on doing it through the summer holidays as i was in the ATC at brize... I worked on engines mostly but got a lot of flying in and spent some time on Electrical engineering squadron and parachute training school. Tri stars and C17's would be great though if you can put a word in!!!!! (its been a few years!!!)

'du du du du du"Get Some!!"'

#15 Boab

Boab

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts
  • Local Club: E*S*M*O*C

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:46 PM

Do fitness at least every 72 hours or the work you have done will be wasted. Swimming is one of the best keep fit/weight loss activities I've seen folks do (23.5 years Army, just retired) done it all the time and keeps you with it and slim. Good luck with it all Gav.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users