gixxerpower

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Local Club: minis & oatcakes

Posted 29 May 2007 - 11:43 AM

hi,
having just been faffing about getting the digital speedo working i have started the car up this morning and have got no tacho now. looking under the dash i have a spare wire comming out of the tacho with a connecter that has obviously pulled out from some where?? i can not find any other wires which this could connect to so i am wondering if it has been slotted in to a block connecter some where amongst the harness. if this is the case has any one any idea of which one it might be?

i dont want to just touch the wire to others randomly untill it works again incase i damage somthing.

the other two connected wires coming out off the tacho are black and red. the illumination also still works. bearing in mind its a after market tacho and the wiring harness has be chopped about a far bit.

cheers

#2 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:00 PM

Since this is an aftermarket tachometer, the sensing wire is probably "green" based on the other colors you mentioned. This green wire should be connected to what is probably a white/black wire somewhere behind your dash.

Just to be clear about the other tach wires, the black one should be earth/ground and the red one will go to a switched 12V power source. There's probably a white wire also and it needs to go to the dashboard lamp wiring.

#3 gixxerpower

gixxerpower

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:34 PM

cheers for that. yes the wire is greens that not connected. i assume the withe/balck one im looking for is to the coil then.

#4 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 29 May 2007 - 04:17 PM

Hi. Yes, the white/black wire should go back to the coil and be connected to coil (-).

#5 gixxerpower

gixxerpower

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:01 PM

sorted. thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users