#1 chris_ba1212

chris_ba1212

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini

Posted 10 June 2007 - 09:40 PM

Hi people, having some really anoying problems with the tail lights and the rear number plate lights. They haven't been working for a while due to not actually being connected. (changed the fuses to a blade type fuse box) Anyway during the engine swap a few cables got mixed up. I belive with the help of a wiring diaragam in the haynes manual they are correct. All lights were working earlier then for no reason the dash,interior,front and rear side lights and number plate lights went off. No fuses have gone but some lights have come back. The only ones now not working are the rear tail lights and the number plate lights. Any suggestions as it's driving me mad was all working now they are not for no apparent reason. As said i checked fuses and bulbs i earts are fine or else they wouldn't have worked before right?

#2 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 09:45 PM

Check the dash to body loom connection, it's a series of bullet connectors on most Minis (unless your car is late SPi or later) and they get brittle and break.

by the way, have you corrected the fuse ratings for the blade fuses?

Edited by Dan, 10 June 2007 - 09:45 PM.

#3 chris_ba1212

chris_ba1212

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 09:50 PM

do you mean the little plastic housing things with fuses inside? We removed them around a year ago and replaced it all with blade fuses of the corrert ratings at the time. So the wires have new conectors new fuse block with new fuses they all came on tonight but went out after around 5-10 mins of being on.

(no the battery is not flat!!)

#4 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 10:02 PM

When you say the correct rating, do you know that the correct rating for a blade is different from that for a cartridge? You should use a blade rated at half the rating of the cartridge. The reasons for this I have written down about four times in the last two days and so I'm not doing it again now.

And no, I'm not talking about those. There is a cluster of connectors where the front and rear looms are connected to each other. I belive it's always in the engine bay, around the wiper motor area but it could be inside the car behind the dash liners. Check that the red/green one is intact.

Was it just the ones you mentioned above that went out after being on?

#5 chris_ba1212

chris_ba1212

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 10:31 PM

When you say the correct rating, do you know that the correct rating for a blade is different from that for a cartridge? You should use a blade rated at half the rating of the cartridge. The reasons for this I have written down about four times in the last two days and so I'm not doing it again now.

And no, I'm not talking about those. There is a cluster of connectors where the front and rear looms are connected to each other. I belive it's always in the engine bay, around the wiper motor area but it could be inside the car behind the dash liners. Check that the red/green one is intact.

Was it just the ones you mentioned above that went out after being on?

yes it was just those that went out and after checking the diagram i see that the red/green is the power feed for the rear lights will have a check around tomorrow. and the loom is in bits now as i had to change the red wire from the light switch also as it had melted over time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users