5 replies to this topic

#1 supermotolee

supermotolee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:20 PM

right guys and girls i think i have broken one of the little bones in my hand!!! i'm trying to knock the outer joint onto the driveshaft but the pesky circlips are causing me problems i dont have a second person to hold in in its grove is there a special trick to joining them on your own? i'm getting new clips tomorrow so i'l be trying again then...

dont use a mallet with cv joint grease all over it it'l only slip and hit your hand!!!

cheers lee

#2 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis.co.uk

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:49 PM

make sure the inside of the outer CV is pointing straight, locate it onto the splines of the driveshaft and then give it a big :dozing: smack with a lump hammer, needs to be a proper hammer no use tickling it with a mallet. make sure an old castle nut is wound down flat with the threads to save knackering them.

#3 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 13 June 2007 - 06:22 AM

big hammer can equal thread damage i use a 2lb soft face mallet, its more grtting it lined up the hammering it on, and remmber splines can be damaged making it almost impossible to reassemble

dave

#4 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:38 AM

I actually knocked min on by hand the other day. As long as everything is lined up and the circlip is OK, there shouldn't be THAT much resistance.

#5 supermotolee

supermotolee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:50 PM

ok cheers for the replies its amazing what difference a new circlip makes got one on but there is also another ring on the splines were should this sit? should i still be able to feel the splines with my fingers? i'm not sure how far in the driveshaft goes in??

oh yeah and my hand is still sore from smacking it yesterday night... argh

cheers lee

#6 supermotolee

supermotolee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:06 PM

ok i just kept knocking it untill its stopped there is still a few mm of splines i can see on the driveshaft (amongst all the new grease) just dont want to assemble it wrong because there is gonan be 130 bhp going through them lol...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users