#1 cripit

cripit

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:23 PM

hi there
just passed my test so i thought i would go for a drive in the mini, been driving it for a couple of days and the bloody thing broke down >:wacko: . there was no spark so i changed everything on the igntion side,plugs,points,dizzy cap,capacitor,points,ht leads,coil everything. then it was fine until 2 days ago when it wouldnt start when i went out to it in the morning and when i did start it was running lumpy as hell. then after a while it was fine, running sweet. then when the engine got cold it wouldnt start again. i have taken the carb off and cleaned it all, but still no change.
Any suggestions would be great

cheers andrew

#2 mycoolmini04

mycoolmini04

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Local Club: essex mini club

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:43 PM

are your ignition lights coming on, the orange and red ones on your dash under the clocks when you have the problem of it not
starting? also what year/ model is the car etc?

oli

#3 Bass Man

Bass Man

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Local Club: London & Surrey MOC

Posted 14 June 2007 - 12:40 PM

When it wouldn't start after all the ignition stuff was replaced did you have a good spark?

After cleaning the carb have you set the jet to the correct default setting prior to tuning, 2 or 3 turns out I think?

You say

then it was fine until 2 days ago

how long a period was this, months or days?

The current symptoms are similar to when the choke on my daughters wasn't opening properly.

Edited by Bass Man, 14 June 2007 - 12:40 PM.

#4 cripit

cripit

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:40 PM

are your ignition lights coming on, the orange and red ones on your dash under the clocks when you have the problem of it not
starting? also what year/ model is the car etc?

oli

yes the ignition lights come on fine. its a 1988 mayfair

#5 cripit

cripit

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:45 PM

When it wouldn't start after all the ignition stuff was replaced did you have a good spark?

After cleaning the carb have you set the jet to the correct default setting prior to tuning, 2 or 3 turns out I think?

You say

then it was fine until 2 days ago

how long a period was this, months or days?

The current symptoms are similar to when the choke on my daughters wasn't opening properly.

yes ive still got a good spark. no i havernt set the jet as i have not removed it and it was running fine then suddenly one morning it wasnt working. the period when it was running right was 2 days. today i took the plugs out and heated them up then tried to start it and it started but cut out.
there is definately fuel getting to the plugs as there are getting wet with fuel. this indicates to me it has to be an electrical problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users