#1 choodalls

choodalls

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 04:44 PM

Hi,
I have fitted a 1275 cc metro automatic engine and gearbox to replace my original 998cc mini auto engine/box. The Metro engine will have been used with 12" wheels, but I want to keep my 10 inch wheels (with disc brakes). Will the engine be revving its nuts off, or is it able to take it? Really don't want to go into the auto box innards and play with final drive ratios - so if it's a real problem then I'll run it on 12 inch wheels......
Anyone out there gone from 12 down to 10 inch without changing final drives? Have you had problems?
Dave.

#2 minislapper

minislapper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:18 PM

1275 is fine on 10" wheels but your speedo will read incorrectly. I take it you've got 7.5" discs fitted if you want to keep 10" wheels?

You could always get the speedo recalibrated.

#3 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:32 PM

or change the speedo gears for mini ones I have a couple of automatic sets

dave

#4 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:38 PM

guessworks has a good guide to this

#5 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:13 PM

You should change the speedo gears, I seem to remember that Mini speedo cables don't properly fit Metro speedo gears. Or maybe I made that up......

If the cable does fit the gears, the difference in speedo accuracy will be dependant on more than the wheel size. You really need to find out what FD is in the two gearboxes currently.

#6 choodalls

choodalls

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:58 PM

You should change the speedo gears, I seem to remember that Mini speedo cables don't properly fit Metro speedo gears. Or maybe I made that up......

If the cable does fit the gears, the difference in speedo accuracy will be dependant on more than the wheel size. You really need to find out what FD is in the two gearboxes currently.

Thanks. I am going to also finish off a conversion to centre binnacle, and will let Speedy Cables do the speedo recalibration....and yep, I have a set of Cooper S discs.......just wanted to make sure that the Metro set-up wouldn't rev its nuts off on 10 inch wheels.
Ta.

#7 Gizzum

Gizzum

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Local Club: None atm

Posted 15 June 2007 - 10:16 PM

you will lose a bit of top end to the swap but will gain a bit more acceleration!!! :teehee: :P

Great fun thou!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users