Photo
- - - - -

A solution to mountain bike speedo lighting.....

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Russ528

Russ528

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:47 PM

I fitted my tacho this evening, and started to install the bike computer/speedo too.

I've read quite a few posts about how unless you spend a lot of money on a backlit computer, you can't see it at night, etc.

Well, I hate to say it - but in the chav (aka Ripspeed) section of my local Halfords, they sell all manner of LED lights. You can get them in all sizes, shapes and colours. Whilst being in that part of the shop and faced with all manner of tacky add-ons was definitely way outside my comfort zone, of particular interest was the 2 separete LED beams on adjustable, and directable adhesive mounts.

I thought it seemed like a good (and cheap at £12) way of giving your speedo, or whatever other dials you may have, a little bit of light for night driving. As I said, you can get just plain old white if you like, but as my car is a pretty lairy blue, I thought blue would suit.

The pics make the light look very glary, but its not at all, it's actually quite a soft light and you can read the computer screen perfectly.

I've not finished installing the computer, but have mounted the top end in the car and took some pics of the evenings work.

Anyway, just thought it might be useful for others.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Russ528, 14 June 2007 - 09:59 PM.

#2 Silicon Skum

Silicon Skum

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 12:58 AM

I fitted my tacho this evening, and started to install the bike computer/speedo too.

I've read quite a few posts about how unless you spend a lot of money on a backlit computer, you can't see it at night, etc.

Well, I hate to say it - but in the chav (aka Ripspeed) section of my local Halfords, they sell all manner of LED lights. You can get them in all sizes, shapes and colours. Whilst being in that part of the shop and faced with all manner of tacky add-ons was definitely way outside my comfort zone, of particular interest was the 2 separete LED beams on adjustable, and directable adhesive mounts.

I thought it seemed like a good (and cheap at £12) way of giving your speedo, or whatever other dials you may have, a little bit of light for night driving. As I said, you can get just plain old white if you like, but as my car is a pretty lairy blue, I thought blue would suit.
<snip>

Heh, A few years ago I used a set of those in my boot as a boot light and to give a soft light on my little 8 inch boxed sub. Worked quite well once I added a small magnetic switch and magnet to the boot lid (didn't want to drill the boot area), had them hidden out of view on the underside of the parcel shelf....Was weired to look at - you couldn't tell where the light was coming from, the boot interior just "glowed". :wacko:

Didn't pay 12 quid for them either - £4 from the discounted "tat" section! :(

SS

#3 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 15 June 2007 - 01:11 AM

I added a high-intensity LED on a little stalk above my Sigma unit. It also works well. It's nice to be able to see the gauge at night.

So, how do you like the bike speedo? Did you use a CatEye model?

#4 Russ528

Russ528

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:25 AM

I believe this Cateye model only goes up to 65mph, but that's fine to be honest as the majority of speed cameras are set below this speed in urban areas - and I don't plan to do many motorway trips in the mini.......got the 5 series for mile-munching :wink:

The model is a Cateye OS-1.1, which was one of their more fancy models I believe. Wasn't really looking for kit, just popped into the local bike shop earlier this week and saw it reduced to £20. Wasn't sure, as i'd not looked into which computer I might like in the car, so was going to leave it - but then the sales guys said I could have it for £10, so I took a gamble!

It's quite good as you can customise the display and font size. I've since found out that another handy feature is that it utilises ROM memory, so when you change the battery, you don't loose all your settings and mileage, etc.

#5 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 15 June 2007 - 08:11 AM

I chopped a road angel into my top rail (got rid of the Ashtray!!) and fitted an external antenna to it and wired it in.. just take the wifi laptop out to the car and do the updates there. Ithas its own backlight, is very accurate, doesn't need calibrating, tells the time and shouts at me when im near camera's, blackspots and known mobile camera sites. i have also blacked out my dash dials and fitted ultra brite led's into the dial surrounds. these are connected to the fuse box accessory position and come on when you start the car.

i have about 50 red led's to fit under the bodykit and in the arches and blue and white ones to go in the boot and on the inner wings to illuminate the engie bay.

#6 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 08:17 AM

Big gav have you got and pics of your mini with the LED's from the outside?

#7 $way

$way

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Local Club: ...

Posted 15 June 2007 - 11:57 AM

can you not get bike speedo's with lights anyway?

#8 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 15 June 2007 - 12:16 PM

Big gav have you got and pics of your mini with the LED's from the outside?

will when finished... got a majour overhaul going on at the moment.

#9 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 15 June 2007 - 12:37 PM

can you not get bike speedo's with lights anyway?

Generally, no. A few do offer backlighting but you have to access it by pushing a button and that activates the light on a timer. Since a bicycle doesn't have a big 12V battery to draw from, any internal lighting has to run off the watch/coin cell and they don't want the power drain to last a long time.

#10 Gazman

Gazman

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 04:46 PM

Where are you/have you mounted the pickup? Any pictures?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users