2 replies to this topic

#1 danoz24

danoz24

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:58 PM

ok i have a lovely set of gauges to install but am unsure how and am deffo not up for blowing the car up. so does anyone know how i might install an oil gauge (i think its the oil pressure gauge similar to this one in the link below

http://www.autochron.....gauge nos.jpg

it has one red wire coming from it and a tube that has a nut on the end - the tube is about 1 metre and a half long

i also have an amp gauge which is the same as the one in the following link

http://cgi.ebay.com/...bayphotohosting

it also has one red wire coming from the back and two rather large male spade connectors built on at the back also. where might i get the feeds from

many thanks

dan

#2 Puddings

Puddings

Nurburgring Master

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Local Club: fabmoc/TMF

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:08 PM

The oil pressure is a easy one you will need a 'T' piece connector LIKE THIS ONE that connects to the front of your block were the oil pressure switch is now.

Remove this switch and screw the 'T' piece into the hole and re-fit the switch into the end.

Next attach the capillary from the guage and fit in a hole in your dash or in a pod that is visible.

For the light tap the live (12v) and neutral off the one going to your clocks so that the light will come on when you put your lights on.

Edited by Puddings, 14 June 2007 - 10:08 PM.

#3 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 15 June 2007 - 01:19 AM

There's nothing to add regarding the oil pressure gauge.

As for the Ammeter... use one if you like but since you don't sound comfortable about installing gauges... this is one to leave for someone else. It's also not necessarily a good choice for a car with an alternator. I believe the link you posted the picture for is a +/- 30 Amp unit. To read correctly all the power flowing to/from the battery needs to flow through the gauge (excluding power to the starter motor). So, the general practice when fitting an ammeter is to choose one rated for more than the output of your alternator.

If you want additional gauges, you'll find a volt meter is much easier and safer to install than the ammeter and it will give you equally useful information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users