#1 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 03:09 PM

Yo

Well my minor state as a mechanic (of sort) has dropped massively. I had to change my mum's 92 Astra 16V 1.6 plugs as it was running rather badly.

So got plugs. Got sockets and began. 1st one out, all was well so far. Then I got onto the 2nd one. Was rather stuck, tried hitting the socket with the palm of my hand and nothing. So I moved on, 3rd one was stuck.

"bugger it" I thought and got my wee breaker bar.

"hurr...come on you little fecker"

pink

"horray its........C**p"

Half the spark plug is now stuck in the head of the astra. Suggestion on how to get it out? It's like a little threaded tube.

Also please feel free to point and giggle as needed.

#2 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 15 June 2007 - 03:12 PM

i take it that the bit stuck in there doesn't have the hexagon on it anymore???? i think you should get some plus gas in to the threads (and of the remaining ones left to come out)

do you have a pic of how it has broken??

#3 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

Entrepreneur of Adult Material

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: TMf

Posted 15 June 2007 - 03:13 PM

My first suggestion is to get a torque wrench, find the person that put them in last and beat them round the head with it whilst sticking their face into the haynes manual for the Astra on the page that shows the torque setting for the plugs !

Other than that, your pretty stuck to be honest. As far as I know there arent any special tools for dealing with this, if you drill it you'll feck the thread up and need it helicoiled and end up with loads of C**p in the engine which means taking the head off.

Someone had a similar problem on an A-Series a while back and there where a few suggestions in there, DK Lawson is usually the man when it comes to things like this. Maybe send him a PM ?

Edited by Jimmyarm, 15 June 2007 - 03:15 PM.

#4 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 03:19 PM

do you have a pic of how it has broken??

The head and bolt part has sheered clean off. Leaving the threaded outer bit in the head.

[attachment=34750:P1010241.JPG]

#5 ian

ian

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 03:22 PM

As Gav has said, can we see a pic of hows its broken?

can you not get some heat on the plug and then try getting it out?

oh i see a pic now lol, is there any thread sticking out that you can get a grip onto?

Edited by ian, 15 June 2007 - 03:26 PM.

#6 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 15 June 2007 - 03:24 PM

Hang on (just putting my bodge hat on!!)

could you hammer a suitable screw driver into the cenre of the plug, preferably one with a hexagonal handle designed to take a spanner then try winding it out?? plus gas first though and try not to knock the guts of the plug into the chamber!!!!

#7 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 15 June 2007 - 03:25 PM

Ummm, eazi-out job mate. You're a little bit stuck there aren't you, poops.

Go to Halfords, take yer bust plug with you and ask for some easi-outs to fit.

#8 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 15 June 2007 - 03:31 PM

Oh that stinks!

As suggested, I'd start with good penetrating oil and then use a drift to "tap" on the remaining part. You need to tap it to help work the oil into/around the threads. Then wait. Do several applications of the oil followed by tapping with the drift and more waiting.

You will only hear me suggest the following in this one instance... and I hate to say it... Easy-Out. Try an easy-out... but go gentle. If you find excessive torque is being applied, stop immediately. Don't risk breaking an easy-out in there. I hate easy-outs and you'll never hear me recommend them in another situation.

If the easy-out doesn't work go to an industrial supply house and buy some left-hand drill bits in progressively larger sizes up to slightly below the minor diameter of the spark plug threads. Pack the broken plug in the head with heavy grease, pack the flutes of the drill bit with heavy grease, then SLOWLY drill through the broken part using progressively larger LH drill bits. Don't forget to repack the hole and flutes of each bit with heavy grease to catch the chips. Eventually you should reach a drill bit size that relieves enough of the threads for what's left to "unscrew" from the head and remain stuck on the drill bit.

I really, really feel your pain.

#9 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Local Club: The Greenbank working mens social club

Posted 15 June 2007 - 11:18 PM

I had one like that on a fiesta. Plenty of penetrating oil then a spline tool (not the torx ones, the spline ones you never use)
Hammered it in all the way up the splines. A 1/2 " ratchet and it came straight out.

#10 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 12:04 AM

That sounds infinitely better than an easy-out. Go for the torx driver.

#11 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 12:16 AM

What the cheese is a spline tool?

#12 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 12:55 AM

I believe he means a Torx bit.

#13 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 07:29 AM

I had one like that on a fiesta. Plenty of penetrating oil then a spline tool (not the torx ones, the spline ones you never use)
Hammered it in all the way up the splines. A 1/2 " ratchet and it came straight out.

Legendary idea!

That sounds infinitely better than an easy-out. Go for the torx driver.

Yup, deffo better than an easy out. A spline tool is kinda like a Torx tool, only it has more 'teeth' on it. A Torx has six, whereas I think a spline tool has 12, maybe even 16. It's actually a great idea if you can get one that fits as easy-outs really are horrid things.

If you're really stuck, I've got a box set of them in the garage, let me know (I'll PM you my mobile number) and I'll post a load of them out to you!

Matt

#14 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 07:37 AM

Actually, that'd mean you don't get them til monday! I'm happy to lend you them, but it may be better to get a spline tool from Halfords today (assuming you have one nearby). :teehee:

#15 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 12:43 PM

AN UPDATE!

Good Mini Mad Me is going to send me a spline thingy in order to try it out.

So come Monday (ish) I'll try it out. In the mean time I'll keep spraying PlusGas on to loosen it up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users