9 replies to this topic

#1 mini16

mini16

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 01:06 PM

how easy is it to change the head gasket, and does any one know were i could get 1 from and where could i send the head to get skimmed, as i am thinking of buying this mini but the head gasket has gone he thinks, also it splutters what could this be, just carb tunning or bad fuel filter?

cheers

#2 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

Entrepreneur of Adult Material

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: TMf

Posted 20 June 2007 - 01:32 PM

Depends on how good you are and what goes wrong on the way ! I would allow a day for it if you havent done it before, plus another few days whilst you wait for nuts/studs etc that break or crossthread whilst you are doing it !

Actually doing it is pretty simple, just a case of undoing nuts etc. You will need a torque wrench for putting the head back on if you dont have one already :thumbsup:

The haynes manual is your friend for this job.

Edited by Jimmyarm, 20 June 2007 - 01:34 PM.

#3 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 01:47 PM

how easy is it to change the head gasket, and does any one know were i could get 1 from and where could i send the head to get skimmed, as i am thinking of buying this mini but the head gasket has gone he thinks, also it splutters what could this be, just carb tunning or bad fuel filter?

cheers

Head gasket from - Motorfacotor shop. You want a copper one.
Head Skimming - Check the yellow pages for a machine shop.

Chaning is easy enough if you engine is all stock parks. Stage 1 bits make it a bit of pain.

#4 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 01:59 PM

Don't just assume the head needs skimming. Minis have all cast iron engines, unlike other cars you may have encountered with ally heads or blocks. The head is far less likely to be warped than an ally one. Have it measured before sending it off, if you get it skimmed for no reason all you'll be doing is messing up the compression ratio.

#5 Bass Man

Bass Man

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Local Club: London & Surrey MOC

Posted 20 June 2007 - 05:00 PM

If you are going to change the head gasket take the opportunity to do a decoke, replace the seals and grind in the valves. Also replace the bypass pipe if it has one!!

For a total newbie if you have the tools and a can of penetrating oil it is a very satisfying weekends work and it will pay dividends with efficiency.

All the information you need is in any of the service manuals, and most is on here as well.

Oh and Minispares does a full kit, all the gaskets you need and the seals. You will need this because you have to replace more than just the head gasket.

For an idea how long it takes, first time I took it off took me 2 hours, second time, after I realised I hadn't fixed the problem was 15 mins from engine running to on the bench!!

#6 mini16

mini16

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 11:36 PM

thanks for all the replies, but if its not the head gasket what could it be please?

#7 Bass Man

Bass Man

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Local Club: London & Surrey MOC

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:22 AM

thanks for all the replies, but if its not the head gasket what could it be please?

How long is a piece of string? If the bodywork on the car is good and you like it and the price takes into consideration the running problems buy it. Then start some serious investigation of the problems, depending on the age it could be a number of things, C**p points, timing out, dodgy plugs, C**p in fuel, old fuel, mixture etc etc.

All of these things are easily corrected at home with minimal skills, just some diligence.

#8 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,417 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:32 AM

Try and lay your hands on a compression tester 'n whip the plugs out before you buy it.

You could pay for an AA inspection or similar.

If you can manage the job yourself, you could probably swap a complete engine 'n gearbox for under £200 so if the price is right......

#9 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:28 PM

Could be anything, since you haven't said what it is that makes you think it's gone. If the guy who owns it now thinks the gaskets gone he's probably got a reason to think that so it probably is. Lots of problems are caused by broken head gaskets, it's fairly common on A series engines and luckily quite easy to replace. Nobody said it wasn't the head gasket.

#10 mini16

mini16

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:18 PM

hmmm true i will have a good think as the guy does not need it gone asap yet anyway, cheers agen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users