#1 arnie.d

arnie.d

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:18 AM

hi there.
i am currently building up my engine n i have to t othe stage of thinking about a carb set-up, my original plan was to go for a weber bugt recently i have been researching the r1 bike carbs!
from what i can understand the bike carbs give roughly the same power bit slightly better lower down power but the conversion to using 2 carbs can be a lil difficult!
i have phoned bogg brothers up and they wasnt very helpful!
i really dont know what to go for :s

my engine is a 1380, sw10 cam, stg 4 head with 30-36 valves

comments would be much apprieciated

arnie.d

#2 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:10 AM

Have a search for Udo's project thread in the 'mini engined projects' section on the site. It's a good thread.

#3 Udo

Udo

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:23 PM

Cheers MMM

On my engine the R1 carbs gave the same top end power but a lot better low down torque (not slightly) compared to the weber previously fitted, both set ups were Rollin' road tuned/set up by the way

Given the choice of weber or r1 carbs I would choose the bike ones.

If you read my project thread there should be all the info you need to remove the 2 unused carbs from the 4

if you have any questions please ask on that thread then all the info is in one place for future reference

Didnt need anything more than standard garage tools for the carb adaption it was the manifold which was the pain. Welder and lathe needed to do a good job

You also dont need to cut the bulkhead with bike carbs

cheers

#4 arnie.d

arnie.d

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:48 PM

yeah i've already read all through udo's thread!
its a great conversion

i was maybe thinking about getting a bogg brothers inlet n then maybe doing the rest myself?!
would people recomend either s steel or alloy inlet? and does the lenght matter for bike carbs?
i could get bogg bros to make a custom or something.

also how does all the linkage etc work?
bogg bros werent very helpful about telling me how it all worked :P

#5 Udo

Udo

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 01:13 PM

Thats what I found, they want to supply the whole package really

Length does matter as if you want to keep the standard carb trumpets with a filter which covers the trumpets you cant have them any further away than mine are. Mine as it is the foam of the filter just touches the scuttle

The carbs need to be mounted at the same angle as they are on the bike ideally so the floats work the same

My inlet is Mild steel as easier to weld and its what I had available in about the right sizes for a start

Choke is just a cable clamp

Throttle is a bit more involved but still very simple using a bike brake cable and the cable clamp at the pedal not at the carb as standard SU carb

#6 arnie.d

arnie.d

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 01:18 PM

so you'd say a quite simple coversion and easy power etc!?
i liking the sound of it!

when i spoke to bogg brothers they really didnt seem like they knew what they was on about but it did take them ages to answer the phone so they may of been busy!
i might try again later n get a proper conversation going lol

you reckon you could run individual socks on each carb as a filter? would this take up less room?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users