18 replies to this topic

#1 Bam

Bam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 01:01 PM

I’m having some problems with the steering on my mini.

It crabs really badly to the right, pulls to the right and the steering is more sensitive to the left then it is to the right.

I have fitted new track rod ends, and steering arms and had the tracking done which helped but it is still really bad.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris.

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,437 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 25 June 2007 - 01:06 PM

I’m having some problems with the steering on my mini.

It crabs really badly to the right, pulls to the right and the steering is more sensitive to the left then it is to the right.

I have fitted new track rod ends, and steering arms and had the tracking done which helped but it is still really bad.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris.

Oops, must stop doing that

Sticky brake

tyre pressures

Bent or worn suspension

steering rack inner joints

steering rack lube

lots of possibilities I'm afraid

#3 Bam

Bam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 01:49 PM

Those wont explain the crabbing though!

Im going to change my rack to see if that helps, aslo change the subframe mounts.

It pulls, crabs and is les responsive to the right so there is obvously a problem with something on the right hand side.

Chris.

#4 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 01:49 PM

I'd check for a binding brake first. Just because anything seriously wrong with the suspension SHOULD have been noticed by the tyre monkey doing the tracking. That depends on whether he was awake at the time of course. Just check everything over. The other thing that comes to mind if nothing is obvious would be a loose steering arm.

#5 Bam

Bam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 02:15 PM

I'd check for a binding brake first. Just because anything seriously wrong with the suspension SHOULD have been noticed by the tyre monkey doing the tracking. That depends on whether he was awake at the time of course. Just check everything over. The other thing that comes to mind if nothing is obvious would be a loose steering arm.

the breaks are spot on.

all been bleeded, chnged pads every 2 months and calipers are fine. the wheel spins freely when off the air.

The steering arms have just been changed and they are tight, but ill check again just to check.

The problem seems to be getting worse. there is a very loud scrubbing noise comming from the rear left wheel on hard right hand cornering, but i dont think this is related.

chris.

#6 mini_kev

mini_kev

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 02:17 PM

it has been rallied and slaamed into two kerbs then through a hedge between the problem starting and the "tyre monkey" doing the tracking!

#7 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,437 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 25 June 2007 - 02:56 PM

It most certainly could be related and is worth investigating regardless, before you get overtaken by one of your own wheels!

( He He, I typed incestigating at the first attempt, sounds like summet they do in Alabama! )

#8 Kerrin

Kerrin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • Local Club: Manx Mini Register

Posted 25 June 2007 - 04:29 PM

By Crabbing, do you mean if someone follows you the rear wheels are offset so the car looks like it is driving down the road at an angle.

if so maybe the back end needs some looking at, it is already steering right so turns in quicker, poss bent subframe/arm etc

Or if the steering is pulling to the right it is any of the problems the other guys have suggested.

could be a failing front wheel bearing, I had one go suddenly and shoot me accross the road.

K

#9 Bam

Bam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 04:35 PM

The back is not in line with the front!

Im going to check the rear drum assembly.

There is a few problems though:

Pulling to the right.
Crabbing to the right.
Negative camber on the front wheels.
Steering less sensitive to the right.
Front wheels not in line.

Im not sure what to do now!

#10 icklemini

icklemini

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:27 PM

You need it looking at, with someone who knows what they are doing (ie me!) - i setup loads of mini suspensions (quite a few after being at the hands of fast-fit places) and can take a look if you wish.

i suspect a number of problems however, so in the first instance - check over the suspension carefully - are the tie-rods straight?, are any of the bushes worn?, subframe mounting bushes ok? - at the back is there any play in the radius arms?, again: any perished rubbers?

all the tyres pressures correct?

ttfn,
Dave

#11 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 25 June 2007 - 06:36 PM

the subframe mounts are solid metal mounts, soon to be changed for nylon type ones, he said hes changing the rear subframe before the next rally as its a little bent on the rear section (exhaust bent i think)

anyway chris i think get southem mini center to check it out, sure they have exerience in it

#12 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 06:44 PM

he said hes changing the rear subframe before the next rally as its a little bent on the rear section

That's quite likely to be the cause. Doesn't take much deformation in the rear frame to screw the rear alignment up. Definitely time to get everything checked out before thinking about more rallying though.

By the sound of the rally damage inflicted by the kerbs and hedges, it shoud definitely be inspected.

Perhaps mentioning these things earlier would be a good idea? :-

Edited by Dan, 25 June 2007 - 06:44 PM.

#13 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 25 June 2007 - 06:48 PM

it was fun tho :- was going to be changed before last rally but time was against it i believe its mostly set up so "shouldnt" take too long

#14 Bam

Bam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 07:28 PM

The rear subby is only bent at the back so I didnt think that would effect the steering. Im not going to put an entry in for any more rallys untill all the problems with the car are fixed.

Im going to:

Fit Avo rally shock absorbers.
Change the raer subframe.
Change the tower mount bushes.
Change the tie rods and bushes.
Change the steering rack.
Change the ball joints.
Get the tracking set.

These should fix the problems, If not then I have no idea what is causing the problems.

#15 icklemini

icklemini

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 08:44 PM

who does your suspension setups? - would assume if you do motorsport you have your camber, castor and alignment done?? - they should be able to pin point whats up..

i'm wondering if the tie rod mount has been pulled back - this will muller your castor and make it drive like a soggy nappy.

i used to reinforce this 'ear' on the rallycross cars, not allowed to do that though on the mighties.. :s

Edited by icklemini, 25 June 2007 - 08:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users