Sieve

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Local Club: Eastbourne & District

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:26 AM

Hi guys,

As some of you may know, Sieve broke down the other week. While the AA man was trying to get him going again, he took the ht leads off. After being towed home, this is the 1st chance i've had to try and get him going myself. The leads are numbered from right to left 1,2,3,4 (from the fan side) I've looked in Haynes and it says 1,3,4,2 from the distributor, so i changed the plugs to that order, but i cant get it to fire like that! In the 1,2,3,4 order, i can get it going, but it is really lumpy, and i have to put the acc pedal down to keep it going....

Which is the correct order?!

p.s tried a search but the diagram didnt exist anymore!!

Tom

#2 minimanclive

minimanclive

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:37 AM

The HT leads are 1 3 4 2, going ANTI clockwise on the distributor. Number 1 on the dizzy is usually top right at about a 2 O'Clock position.

#3 Sieve

Sieve

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:40 AM

Cheers dude!

#4 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

Entrepreneur of Adult Material

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: TMf

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:16 AM

If you get stuck Sieve I might be able to pop in on the way back from work, then you can look at mine :-

#5 Sieve

Sieve

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:24 AM

Cheers Jimmy, im off out now, so cant do it today :- Might have to take you up on your offer though!!

Tom

#6 Guest_cooper_rsp_*

Guest_cooper_rsp_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:36 AM

you got it going?

#7 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 27 June 2007 - 03:03 PM

Just to elaborate a bit on what's been posted, since ALL the HT leads were removed you need to make a couple of quick and easy checks regarding where things are.

Remove the distributor cap and spark plugs. Temporarily remove the valve cover. Turn the engine over manually (pull the fan belt, leave it in gear and push... whatever method you like) until you see the timing marks starting to come into alignment. You should see the top of #1 (radiator end of the engine) piston through its spark plug hole. Check the first two rocker arms, the ones above #1 cylinder. They should be "loose" such that you can wiggle them. If their tips are "down" and they are tight, turn the engine over ONE more full revolution until the timing marks line up again. Confirm the timing marks are close and that the first two rocker arms are loose.

Once the engine is turned to this position you know that #1 piston is near TDC on it's compression stroke (the spark happens slightly before this). Look at where the rotor on the distributor is pointing. Loosely fit the dizzy cap on the dizzy body, noting which pole on the cap the rotor is pointing at. Put the #1 spark plug wire on that pole. Now install the other wires on the cap going sequentially around Counterclockwise, 1-3-4-2. Pay attention to the wire lengths before fitting them.

Obviously re-fit the plugs, valve cover, etc.

#8 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 27 June 2007 - 03:16 PM

Posted Image

#9 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 03:31 PM

lol, wish i had seen this post about 2 hours ago! hehehe

*miss fire*
....change lead order
*miss fire*
.....change lead order
*miss fire*
........change lead order
*LOTS OF POWER* spot on :-

#10 Protarmic

Protarmic

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 03:42 PM

Posted Image

what the hell? My one ha a different order and runs fine. Heres a diagram of it. 4 is closest to the radiator and 1 furtherest away from it. what the hell is this?

Attached Files

• Attached File  wtf.bmp   1014.24K   14 downloads

#11 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 27 June 2007 - 04:18 PM

Protarmic's post is the very reason I gave such a lengthy description of how to put the wires on in the correct order.

1:00, 2:00 o'clock (etc. ) means absolutely nothing and is not important. True... if the engine has never been fiddled with or taken apart GENERALLY #1 is near 2:00 o'clock. However, if the dizzy and its drive gear have ever been out of the engine (and placed back in the wrong position) then the actual "o'clock" positions of the HT leads can change.

What's important is that the wire going to #1 cylinder is on the dizzy cap lug that corresponds to where the rotor is pointing when #1 cylinder is near TDC on its firing stroke. After that, it's just 1-3-4-2 CCW around the cap.

EDIT: by the way Protarmic... you're "order" is the same as Taffy's. All that's different with yours is the relative position of #1 on the cap.

Edited by dklawson, 27 June 2007 - 04:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users