#1 jmetal88

jmetal88

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Local Club: okMini

Posted 30 June 2007 - 05:59 AM

Hi everyone, I have this Mini that some previous owner seems to have tacked an old VIN on so they could import it to the US so I'm not really sure what year it is. My best guess is 1991, based off of 1990 date stamps on certain things and the fact that the seats look like the style shown by Newton Commercial as a 1991-1992 Cooper, except mine are grey.

Anyway my drivers side (it's LHD) rear tire is seeing a lot of rub on my sportspack wheel arch and when comparing space between the tire and the arch it is a full two fingers lower on that tire than the rear tire on the other side. It seems to handle fine when I have three or less people in the car, but when I have four people in the car or I am turning sharp corners or going over large bumps in the road, there's a lot of rub. I need to fix this.

I figure I can afford to do one of three things:

1. Replace the suspension cone (I mean the rubber doughnut) for that corner only.

2. Buy a set of (budget) Hi-Los for the rear suspension only.

3. Buy a set of rear bump-stops (and ride on the left hand one almost constantly).

So really, none of these are very good options as it seems, but I'm on an extremely tight budget here. So I need your advice on which one of these I should do. And I also need advice on removing the old cones and trumpets. I tried to pull the assembly out today, as I like to familiarize myself with the removal and replacement of the parts before I attempt repair, but I was unable to do so. According to the guides I have seen there should be enough droop for me to be able to force it out, but I couldn't even get it out using a prybar to compress the side of the cone that was getting caught. For an example, take this picture from the guide in this forum:

http://img342.images...ilos00033nq.jpg

See the little black bit there? Mine has what looks to be a cylindrical piece of metal sticking out of it, which is what the cone getting caught on. If mine actually looked like the one in the picture, I would have had no trouble getting it off, so I need advice on that, too. I can take a picture if any of you need to see it to know what I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance!

#2 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 30 June 2007 - 06:42 AM

have you removed the shocks ?

and separated the rubber from the alloy cone ?

while things are apart check that the ball on the end of the alloy cone hasn't warn through the plastic cup it sits in

#3 jmetal88

jmetal88

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:14 PM

have you removed the shocks ?

and separated the rubber from the alloy cone ?

while things are apart check that the ball on the end of the alloy cone hasn't warn through the plastic cup it sits in

Yeah, I removed the shocks. You're supposed to separate the cone from the trumpet before you remove it? The guide I was looking at shows removal, then separation. Example here: http://img342.images...ilos00042fx.jpg

#4 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,432 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:51 PM

There's a nut in the centre of the rubber cone for removing them from the front suspension I wonder if the silver thing you can see is something threaded into that for some weird reason?

Try and separate the cone and trumpet on the car.

I'd try new knuckle joints first and if that doesn't work new cones (on both sides to keep it balanced)

Also compare the trumpets side by side to make sure no one's chopped one down a bit in an effort to lower the car.

If you reassemble with the old cones first before committing to buying new parts swap the cones from side to side, that should tell you if it is the cone to blame.

#5 jmetal88

jmetal88

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 03:12 PM

There's a nut in the centre of the rubber cone for removing them from the front suspension I wonder if the silver thing you can see is something threaded into that for some weird reason?

Try and separate the cone and trumpet on the car.

I'd try new knuckle joints first and if that doesn't work new cones (on both sides to keep it balanced)

Also compare the trumpets side by side to make sure no one's chopped one down a bit in an effort to lower the car.

If you reassemble with the old cones first before committing to buying new parts swap the cones from side to side, that should tell you if it is the cone to blame.

New knuckle joints? I'll see about that. It's gonna be a little tough (more like impossible) for me to swap the cones from side to side 'cause I don't have axle stands. I also don't think I'd have the spare cash to buy any at the moment.

EDIT: Heh. Just figured out axle stands are called jack stands in the US and they're actually really cheap... like $15 a pair at Advance Auto Parts (for the 2-ton), so I'll probably go ahead and buy a pair.

Edited by jmetal88, 30 June 2007 - 03:24 PM.

#6 jmetal88

jmetal88

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 08:33 PM

OK, finally got them out of my car... as one assembly. Now I can't fit them back in, and I suppose I won't be able to 'till I can separate the rubber cones from the trumpets, but that's next to impossible and I can't find any WD-40 in my house. I've been attempting to use Armor All to help get it lubricated, but so far I've only succeeded in moving one side about 1mm and the other side is stuck fast...

#7 jmetal88

jmetal88

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 06:59 PM

Wow, this is insanely stuck! I got some WD40 and some Liquid Wrench, and, although the rubber is more pliable now, it still ISN'T BUDGING! What the heck is up with this, how can it be THAT stuck? I've used a crowbar, hammer and chisel (broke the chisel), WD40, Liquid Wrench, swung it like a club against a tree, and hit it up against the curb until the metal stated chipping! Geez, it's starting to look like my only option is to buy all new components for my rear suspension, 'cause they simply DON'T fit back in while they're still together!

*Sigh*

Now that my rant is over, anyone have any other advice for me other than buy all new components?

EDIT: Well, thanks to an extremely generous offer from a family member, I can now afford to rebuild the rear suspension using new knuckle joints, new rubber springs, and a pair of Hi-Los, so I guess I don't have to worry about trying break down my old suspension now.

Edited by jmetal88, 02 July 2007 - 05:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users