#1 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:24 PM

Evening,

My spare tire and one of my main tires seems to keep going down. It's only a slow leak but it's gose down. It's rather annoying to keep pumping up so I was wondering about those tire seal cans you can get. Their full of gunk so if you get a puncture it fixes itself.

got a can of it I found in the garage and wanted to know what people though of the stuff. Any good or a load of C**p?

Ta.

#2 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

Entrepreneur of Adult Material

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: TMf

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:40 PM

Remember my old man using one on his sierra estate, worked a treat. IIRC he did a good few miles on it until the tyre needed changing ;D

#3 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:42 PM

Well so far 100% say yes!

Sod it. I'll go give it a go.

Really I was expecting Dan or Jammy to pop in, slaughter my plan as a bodge then to carry on. They seem to have jedi senses about these things.

#4 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

Entrepreneur of Adult Material

• Members
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: TMf

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:43 PM

Lol, quick if we edit our posts they will never know !

#5 busa1999

busa1999

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 05:08 PM

i would be more inclined to find out why they are going down do you have any nails in the tires, do the valves leak,
you dont want a slow puncture turning into a fast one !

#6 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,454 posts
  • Local Club: Backstreet Minis

Posted 30 June 2007 - 05:31 PM

I had a leaky tyre last year. The tyre fitters took it off a couple of times but for some reason they could never get it to sit quite right. I put a little shot of that gunky stuff in and it stopped it straight away. I'd recommend it.

#7 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 05:46 PM

Personally I hate the stuff when working a tyre fitter a few years back, especially the stuff used by a well-known breakdown company.

Are you running the mini special alloys? as old alloys tend to do this more than steelies.

If you want to know exactly were the tyre/rim is leaking from, mix up a small bottle of weak soapy water and with the wheel off the car dribble some round the rim/bead of the tyre and around the valve.

Depending upon how bad the leak is you might see a load of bubbles forming indicating where the leak is coming from almost instantly otherwise leave it for 5 min and come back to it.

If you do find the wheel is leaking from around the rim, take it down the local tyre place and have them pop the tyre off and give the inside of the wheel were the tyre sits a good scrub with a wire brush and if needed some of that black tyre sealant, shouldn’t have any problems then, providing they know what there doing.

#8 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 05:52 PM

I sense something....

A presence I haven't felt since......

#9 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 07:51 PM

Are you running the mini special alloys? as old alloys tend to do this more than steelies.

If you want to know exactly were the tyre/rim is leaking from, mix up a small bottle of weak soapy water and with the wheel off the car dribble some round the rim/bead of the tyre and around the valve.

Yo,

Was thinking that any tire fitter would hate the stuff as that how bodge fixes tend to be. On steelies (WOO!) so it's not any alloy corroding from the sea air. I was going to mix up a bottle of liquid as I've done it before but I really couldn't be arsed. I get started on El Gordo and sorting the rust soon so I was planning on getting the steelies blasted and coated....or painted.

#10 Jordan

Jordan

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:05 PM

I have used the stuff once to seal a leak it just leak out onto my drive :shifty: in the end i just put the spare on won't be using that stuff again.

#11 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,454 posts
  • Local Club: Backstreet Minis

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:10 PM

I sense something....

A presence I haven't felt since......

....since someone asked what the black rubber lumps were on their subframe, and when one fell off they pulled the other off to make it symmetrical? :shifty: :P

#12 Paul TVR

Paul TVR

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Local Club: SMOC

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:36 PM

Steel rims can go rusty and leak from the rim too, the tyre weld stuff is ok, but once it's been put in a tyre it's very hard to repair them if they punctures as the glue used for the patches won't stick to the inside of the tyre. Best bet it to ask your local tyre shop to have a look over it and try to find the leak, if they can't find it then give in and stick some tyre weld in.

#13 ian

ian

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:03 AM

I always thought it was just a get you home thingy, and have also heard that it can be very hard to get off the inside of the wheel if you ever need a new tyre.

but my inlaws bought a brand new vauxhall last friday, ( i did try and put them off honest) and you dont get a spare wheel anymore with the car, they supplie a tin of this repair stuff. infact when i looked at it you dont even get a jack anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users