Photo
- - - - -

Auto gearbox fluid (ATF?) in the dashpot!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 itdontgo

itdontgo

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:48 PM

Hi,

Last time I had a mini the guy who tuned it for me put auto-transmission fluid in the carb. Sounds a bit odd but didn't really make any difference. I'm thinking of getting a new mini (hence my visit to the forum!) and that was something that always stuck in my mind as a wierd thing to do. He obviously thought it was a great idea but I wasn't exacty convinced.

What are you supposed to put in there?

#2 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:56 PM

Auto fluid is hydrolic fluid isn't it?

In recent times many people have been saying how they use all sorts in the dashpot. Engine oil, 3 in 1, brake fluid. All sorts.

#3 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,439 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 30 June 2007 - 02:10 PM

It's a damper so the more viscous your chosen fluid the slower your carb will respond to the throttle.

It's supposed to take engine oil, but as the viscosity of most engine oils change with temperature that effects mixture, particularly in winter conditions.

A low viscosity fully synthetic oil would be my choice.

#4 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 05:58 PM

It's supposed to take engine oil, but as the viscosity of most engine oils change with temperature that effects mixture, particularly in winter conditions.

So does the performance of the engine. If you get the balance right between fluid and spring it should help to compensate for air density changes.

It's supposed to be SU dashpot oil. 3 in 1 is pretty similar.

Edited by Dan, 30 June 2007 - 05:58 PM.

#5 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 07:43 PM

Haynes recommends 10/40w oil. Used it and rather liked it.

#6 rozzer!

rozzer!

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 10:41 PM

for a stage one engine i used 3 in 1. for the twins i use brake fluid. i find tha throttle response is abysmal on the twins. kinda like running a single carb again!

#7 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 02 July 2007 - 12:02 AM

The original SU dashpot oil was 20W oil. As mentioned people have run just about everything in them as an experiment. 3-in-1 oil in the red can is 30W, in the blue can it's 20W (that's what I carry as a spare in the boot. ) Auto trans fluid is not hydraulic fluid as such, but it's close, it's comparable to a 10W oil. As for brake fluid, I guess some people might be tempted to try that but I would think it's ability to absorb moisture would make it one of the worst fluids to use long term.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users