#1 dave87

dave87

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:06 PM

HEY ALL
i have a 1992 1275 carb mini, what carb is it and what size KnN (") will i need????

cheers

#2 Russ528

Russ528

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:11 PM

Kind of related....but is it really worth putting a K&N on the mini? (this is a question for my own benefit really, rather than questioning you!)

Sure it sounds nicer, but I can't help thinking it's doing feck all for BHP increase...if anything it'll be decreasing it, as it's sucking in less dense hot air straight from the engine bay.

I had a K&N on my old 325 coupe, and without the heatshield around the filter, it was pants.....sounded great, but performance was no better than the standard airbox. With a proper heat shielf to segregate the air filter from the heat of the engine so all it got was nice cool air rushing in and there was a noticable increase in oopmh higher up the rev range.

#3 *DJH*

*DJH*

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts
  • Local Club: www.bigpower.co.uk

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:15 PM

Kind of related....but is it really worth putting a K&N on the mini? (this is a question for my own benefit really, rather than questioning you!)

Sure it sounds nicer, but I can't help thinking it's doing feck all for BHP increase...if anything it'll be decreasing it, as it's sucking in less dense hot air straight from the engine bay.

I had a K&N on my old 325 coupe, and without the heatshield around the filter, it was pants.....sounded great, but performance was no better than the standard airbox. With a proper heat shielf to segregate the air filter from the heat of the engine so all it got was nice cool air rushing in and there was a noticable increase in oopmh higher up the rev range.

Completely wrong. It'll be increasing the flow, not decreasing it. and above 15 mph cool air does reach the back of the engine via the grille.

And also with the Fiat, you needed to put some ducting there for it.

#4 dave87

dave87

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:18 PM

its just engine looks good but its got a big air box covering most off the engine lol, want it to look more tidier. worth getting or not then????? i use to have one on my last car (fiat) didnt make a differnts really at all.

cheers guys

Edited by dave87, 02 July 2007 - 08:22 PM.

#5 *DJH*

*DJH*

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,972 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:26 PM

its just engine looks good but its got a big air box covering most off the engine lol, want it to look more tidier. worth getting or not then????? i use to have one on my last car (fiat) didnt make a differnts really at all.

cheers guys

It is worth getting but you will need to alter the air/fuel ratio slightly. same applies to the fiat too.
The filter will only increase BHP by a fraction on it's own, but the air flow will be better, but far more superior when a velocity tube is fitted.

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,438 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:35 PM

A K&N is a win win modification

you get more power, better economy, it doesn't clog anything like as quickly as a paper element and as it'll be the last filter you need to buy it may well be cheaper in the long run as well.

#7 dave87

dave87

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:47 PM

what carb is mine its a 1992 1275, carb model. and what inch KnN??? thanks

#8 howson02

howson02

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Local Club: The Mini Forum

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:09 PM

I think yours will be a HIF44 carb, so im guessing the 1.3/4" K and N, dont hold me to it though

Edited by howson02, 02 July 2007 - 09:10 PM.

#9 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:11 PM

point for anyone who can tell us what the "K" and the "N" stands for (clue: it's just about as un-cool as you could get)

#10 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:17 PM

i dont think its a HIF44 mate. I hav a 93 sprite 1275 and has a HIF38 which is a 1 and a 1/2 with the float chamber directly under the carb.

#11 *DJH*

*DJH*

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,972 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:18 PM

point for anyone who can tell us what the "K" and the "N" stands for (clue: it's just about as un-cool as you could get)

I don't know, but i know they originally made filters for marine engines. >_<

#12 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:18 PM

hif44 if its a cooper or hif38 for non cooper

#13 howson02

howson02

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Local Club: The Mini Forum

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:39 PM

ahhhh right, i have just upgraded from a 38 to a 44 actually, so i should have known, am i right in saying that the further your engine is tuned, then you may need to upgrade from a 38 to a 44?

#14 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,438 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:43 PM

hif44 if its a cooper or hif38 for non cooper

you can measure the diameter of your carb's air intake to be sure, Hif38 = 38mm, Hif44 = go on guess >_<

#15 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,438 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:03 PM

Yes, the carb such match the engine's air consumption which more or less means HP

Don't fall into the trap of thinking a bigger carb automatically equals more horses, a carb is just a means of putting petrol into the intake (and throttling the air flow). To make more power an engine has to consume more air it's only if the carb is too small and restricting airflow that swapping it will give any improvements

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users