#1 MiniMrMan

MiniMrMan

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Local Club: HEY Mini Owners Club

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:43 PM

Ok first real drive i have had in my honda zcars mini.. was fun!

Only one real thing to note.. at higher revs in top gear 7000revs+ my f/glass doors try to leave my car at the top and bottom! lol

It is quite fun! specialy when you have a passenger in the car, and they notice that they can see 3" of sky where the top of the door should be!

What a buzz!!

might have to do something with the doors tho!

#2 *DJH*

*DJH*

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts
  • Local Club: www.bigpower.co.uk

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:46 PM

Only one real thing to note.. at higher revs in top gear 7000revs+ my f/glass doors try to leave my car at the top and bottom! lol

Humm, i'd worry about that >_<

#3 MiniMrMan

MiniMrMan

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:14 PM

Humm, i'd worry about that >_<

Be right! i was just worried about loosing my mk1 perspex sliders on my 1st drive! lol

Dont realy know of a way to stop them doing it realy,, as they are super bendy!

#4 Mephiston

Mephiston

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Local Club: London and Surrey

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:22 AM

could try adding some round bar etc.. to strengthen up the doors, are the just pure fiberglass or is there any kind of metal frame with in them, if there is a frame just try bulking that up a bit

#5 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:24 AM

Sounds fun! Just get a big bag of zip ties and everytime you go out in it zip tie the doors closed at the top and bottom....

You could even make it professional by making some special zip tie brackets on the doors and door surrounds!! ;D

Erm, failing that, go slower?? :)

#6 MiniMrMan

MiniMrMan

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 02:58 PM

they are full f/glass/carbon mix doors. It is mainly at the top of the door where it is thiner and cannot be reinforced. I was thinking about using Velcro around the frame. May work, just isnt the best when u pull up somwere and get out with a big ssshhhhrrrriiiiippppp noise! lol

#7 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 03:19 PM

How about something like the brass hook and eyes on this site

http://www.mylittlew...bing.html#a1807

Or maybe this type of thing

http://www.diytools....?iCategoryID=93

Simple cheap and should hold the door in enough? I wouldn't have though they need to be too strong?? If the wind can't get behind the door in the first place it shouldn't pull out at all?

Couple on each door..... might look a little odd but it's all i could thing of quickly. ;D

#8 Mephiston

Mephiston

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:33 PM

is there enough room to bolt these on from the top of the door to the roof ?

Clicky

it maybe another thing to remember when trying to get out but would bulk the doors up a bit

#9 MiniMrMan

MiniMrMan

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 10:49 AM

Only problem is i want it to look factory at the same time, and i dont want to start drilling holes in my roof. hhmm ill keep thinking!

#10 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 12:50 PM

I was thinking of putting them on the unside so at least you'd not see anything other than a little clip on the top of the door.

And does having the doors fly off when trotting down the road look factory?? :) :P :)

#11 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:11 PM

Put some kind of bolt mechanism in the door post/frame that way you'll only need a small hole or bracket on the door - perhaps something operated by a push bike brake cable

#12 Mephiston

Mephiston

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:59 PM

i did mean have the hook on the inside of the car (otherwise getting out would be an issue)

another idea

what about some form of spring loaded device similar to most front door (house) locks,

ie : a wedge shaped piece of metal that when the door closes would slide down then back up into the recess in the top of the roof, you could then attempt to use a wire from the original door pull/opener, and run that up to the new latch so that when you open the door's main lock it also opens the second one too

that probably makes no sense - but if you can fabricate something like that - then it wont change the look of the car, and should be fairly hidden

also i was just thinking - if your doors bend at high speed, then they can probably be pulled open - i hope you have the car in a safe lockup somewhere ?

#13 MiniMrMan

MiniMrMan

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 06:10 PM

i did mean have the hook on the inside of the car (otherwise getting out would be an issue)

another idea

what about some form of spring loaded device similar to most front door (house) locks,

ie : a wedge shaped piece of metal that when the door closes would slide down then back up into the recess in the top of the roof, you could then attempt to use a wire from the original door pull/opener, and run that up to the new latch so that when you open the door's main lock it also opens the second one too

that probably makes no sense - but if you can fabricate something like that - then it wont change the look of the car, and should be fairly hidden

also i was just thinking - if your doors bend at high speed, then they can probably be pulled open - i hope you have the car in a safe lockup somewhere ?

I know what you mean, I think it would take a lot of work to make it function spot-on but it could work well and will be well hidden!

It has perspex windows that you can slide from the outside! lol Thieves around here are a bit thick, they would still put a screwdriver through the door skin and open the door that way! Even if they managed to get into my garage and get it started, they would still hav to find a way of moving four other cars off my drive to get it out! lol

#14 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 08:00 AM

Years ago I had this problem, I run half inch by 3mm bar inside the window channel, bonded and bolted in, then sectioned off most of the door, ie excluding any doorlocks etc and then filled it with foam, I had door covers on mine so I could do that.

Added less than a pound to each door but were far stronger

Cheers
David

Edited by R1mini, 07 July 2007 - 08:00 AM.

#15 Mephiston

Mephiston

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:42 AM

I know what you mean, I think it would take a lot of work to make it function spot-on but it could work well and will be well hidden!

It has perspex windows that you can slide from the outside! lol Thieves around here are a bit thick, they would still put a screwdriver through the door skin and open the door that way! Even if they managed to get into my garage and get it started, they would still hav to find a way of moving four other cars off my drive to get it out! lol

Ah fair enough - well maybe you could go for a lower tech version and use the bathroom style lock that Ade mentioned (click), but you could try to sink them into the door and just leave a small hole so you can get your finger in to do them up - the only thing with that is that, im not sure how well they will hold up with gravity and vibrations ?

either way good luck and let us know what you do in the end

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users