#1 nathansminis

nathansminis

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:03 PM

hi everyone,

just got back from a spin in the mini, being followed by my sister, and she told me when i got home my lights are bu**erd.

i had my headlights on. dipped beam and main beam seem to make my brake lights funny.

when i used the brake, all the lights went from both sides, to the right hand light cluster. it seems that when i use the brake, the brake and side lights go out in the left cluster, and the brake/sidelights are much brighter on the right cluster.

does anyone know what could be causing this? its a standard 998cc advantage. i replaced the fuse box a few weeks ago as my horn and sidelights wernt working, and now this desides to happen.

any help much appreciated!!

#2 nathansminis

nathansminis

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 04:54 PM

does no one have any ideas what i can do??

i need my mini for my driving test in a few weeks.

just had a paniky afternoon finishin work early to bleed my clutch system. stopped working last night in the middle of town!!

they wont let me do it if my lights are messed up. i know i wont be driving in the dark, but they'll do anything for an excuse.

thanks guys!

#3 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:04 PM

Double check the condition of your earth points in the boot. If the lights have a bad earth, they may do funny things like you describe!

#4 ian

ian

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:05 PM

Nathan, it sounds very much like a bad earth, check the battery one, make sure its clean and not all rusty. then go for the earths on the rear of the back lights, while your at it do the engine one too.

bugger you beat me to it lol

Edited by ian, 05 July 2007 - 05:06 PM.

#5 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:07 PM

bugger you beat me to it lol

MNAH MNAH! ;D

#6 nathansminis

nathansminis

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 03:49 PM

cheers guys, i will go and have a look now!

im extreamly excited (how sad!) but im going to have a look at a pair of minivans for sale tommorrow. :) :)

ill let you know if they follow me home on the trailer!!! :P

thanks for helping guys!!

#7 nathansminis

nathansminis

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 06:29 PM

ok, had a look at the earths, looked ok, but i cleaned them up anyway. but i still have the same problem.

i then noticed, that wen my little sister stood on the brake pedal with no headlights on, the one on the right seemed brighter. i removed the lenses, and sure enough, the lights were on opposite filaments in the bulb. the left side on the large fillament, and the right on the small. can anyone please tell me which one should be the brake light fillament. big or small???

i guess the idiot who had it before me wired it up wrong when he repaired the crash damage ( very bad in itself!!! )

could this be whats causing this to happen?

thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users