Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 19 December 2004 - 05:47 PM

hi

the clubby should be finished in about 3 months, so i'm starting to think about ice. I'm going to stick with the 13cm Infinity's that are in the rear shelf, but i'm having a full width dash, and keeping the eyeball vents, so won't have anywhere in the front for speakers. I don't want those pods that fit near your knees, not keen on those at all (there'll be a roll cage there anyway), so I was thinking of having a board for under the rear seat. Is it possible to fit 6x9's in the gap? I was thinking some 6x9 Inifinity's, wired up to the rear output of the HU (Alpine 9828RB in a centre console), and the 13cm's wired up to the front. I'm thinking the sound would still be quite good, despite all coming from the back (there's going to be plenty of sounds from the engine anyway), and that the quality would also be good. What does everyone else think?

Thanks in advance

Tom

#2 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 19 December 2004 - 06:51 PM

The 6 x 9s will definitely fit under the seat, there are people that do the seat boards with 6 x 9 holes pre-cut. I aint too sure on the set up of the speakers though (all behind you). Maybe have a pair of smallish tweeters somewhere at the front?

IMHO bass sounds fine when it is played behind, but the higher frequency always sounds better when it's infront, as I think it tends to get drowned out easily by other noises.

But maybe that's just my ears!!!

#3 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,638 posts
  • Local Club: Grimsby & Louth MOC

Posted 19 December 2004 - 10:30 PM

in one of those underseat boards, the speakers are mounted as such that they fire directly into the back of your seat...

as you can imagine, not brilliant for sound reproduction, if you were to mount them in the parcel shelf (believe it or not) they will sound masssssssssses better, due to the window reflecting the sound waves forward above any seating directly to your ears. i would move the 13 inf's to the front. flappyplasticbits had some infinity 6x9;s in the shelf and some boggo 10cms in the airvents on the dash, sounded quite reasonable for what it was.

#4 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 11:04 PM

i athey arnt boggo 10cms although they are incredbly cheap(i got um for free) kenwoods. I have also had my infinity 6x9's under the rear seat and they sound rubbish, no vollume, not enough ai behind the board to produce much bass and the tweeters are muffled by the front seats!

ithe set up you have said will not sound good at all, the sound stage is the wronge way around. This is due to treble frequencies being easily blocked by objects and to refract easily either. For this reason you will see cars like corsa having the tweeter in the door pillar as its really close to your ears! with 13cm in the rear you will hadly hear any trebble and only lower mid. Though for people in the back it should sound alright.

My advice is if you cant put speakers in the front, then just run some 6x9's in the rear shwelf with the trebble and mid frequencies all the way up

#5 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 11:58 PM

hmmm, ok, so should i try to keep the pioneer 10cm speakers that are in the front already?? I don't really want to butcher the parcel shelf anymore to fit the 6x9's, so would prefer to keep the 13's there if I can. I'm not amazingly bothered about sound quality, as its not going to be a cruise car or anything like that, i just like to have some entertainment of the musical variety, but with a little bit of bass as well.

#6 rob mini

rob mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 06:57 PM

how about spending some cash and buying some door pods from mini trailers? my sound system sounded awful, then i put some 10cm £5 speakers in the doors and sound LOADS better

rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users