#1 CAU998

CAU998

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts
  • Local Club: TMF South Central...

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:51 AM

Just wondering, i heard the auto subframe allows the engine to sit lower in the car. Obviously this means lower centre of gravity, meaning hopefully the handling is slightly better. Just wondering does anyone know, how much lower the subframe allows the engine to sit and does it require spacers to fit it? I heard you do, but my mates ex-auto 1980 HLE apparently doesn't have any spacers to fit the manual box un block.

Edited by CAU998, 10 July 2007 - 11:59 AM.

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:02 PM

The auto subframe is wider than the manual....

If you don't use spacers then the engine will almost fall straight through...

I'm not sure of the dimensions but when fitting spacers, there's a likelyhood that the engine will actually sit higher as the mounts point upwards ( also the holes in an auto subframe for the mounts are further apart ). You could, in theory, make spacers which sit the engine lower, but the down side is the sump and the exhaust will also be lower to the ground, making ground clearance a bit of an issue...

I heard of them being used in competition, main for the increased access to the engine from under the car, but you don't generally encounter speed bumps on circuits... :thumbsup:

#3 CAU998

CAU998

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:05 PM

Nice one! Think ill have a look into it, as i can't see it being used everyday its broke down on me three times lol and i've only drove it 3 times for 2 hour periods at most lol. But thats due to bodged wiring and a mangled 998 lol

#4 andywaller

andywaller

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Local Club: turbominis.co.uk

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:11 PM

belive me its not worth it, i fitted a manual engine into a auto frame to see what it would be like, and its just rediculous, the sump is so low.

you would be far better to keep the engine where it is and lower the whole car.

i am looking into machining some of these spacers from alloy billet, i have made a prototype set but no longer have an auto frame to try them in.

#5 CAU998

CAU998

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:15 PM

Sounds interesting! Dunno what my mates on about then lol! I know he's definately using an auto subby but haven't had much time to give it a proper look! He's probably talking rubbish, cause i beat him on roundabouts and on the straights the other day and he's the more experienced driver.

#6 andywaller

andywaller

• Members
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:19 PM

im not saying it cant be done. id just concentrate on better suspension components.

#7 CAU998

CAU998

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:26 PM

Yeah don't worry i am, gunna be doing abit of weight reduction on subframes. And maybe not to everyones taste but they're going mini neon pink too lol! But genuine hilo's coil spring, cone replacements, negative camber lower front arms and rear brackets are just a few ideas i've got floating around. Thinking about a better brakes and steering rack too!

#8 annodomini2

annodomini2

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 01:06 PM

I thought the engine sat slightly further forward in an auto subframe also?

#9 andywaller

andywaller

• Members
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 04:44 PM

think your right same sort of position as the injection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users