165 replies to this topic

#121 PJ266

PJ266

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:19 PM

true, the only people who might find that interesting are A-level phyics students. (even then youre pushing it ;))

it is fair to say that people should realise what horrific consequences crashing at 40mph can have though.

#122 koomey

koomey

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:16 PM

dont know how i ended up on this page but stories moved me, some very distressing stuff, i will definately re-asess my driving style, in my mini i maybe go a bit too fast, in my 07 plate golf im more reserved and careful.

#123 Lews_mini

Lews_mini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Local Club: -

Posted 08 August 2008 - 03:34 PM

dont know how i ended up on this page but stories moved me, some very distressing stuff, i will definately re-asess my driving style, in my mini i maybe go a bit too fast, in my 07 plate golf im more reserved and careful.

I second that! And anyone who tells me to put my foot down to save a few seconds can s-h-u-v i-t!!

#124 Asphalt

Asphalt

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • Local Club: Member of a Local Club?:

Posted 08 August 2008 - 03:52 PM

Mine's crashed too.... :techsupport:

Little distraction of whats happening before me from some idiots jelling at me during a traffic jam (been going on for 2h - verry stressing and tiring)...
Result as little brage at - assumed - 5-10km/h.

Posted Image

That stupid plastic Golf had a little scratch in the paint ;)
But luckily my 'dent' can be pulled out :P
That chromed ring on the light is surprisingly as new... No dent, nothing :D

What do we learn?
The biggest factor for active and passive safety is: the driver itself.

Cheers,
Jan

Edited by Asphalt, 08 August 2008 - 03:54 PM.

#125 1972 K

1972 K

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 02:14 AM

The best way to make your Mini safer is to keep it standard, well maintained, and to drive defensively at all times.

That post was a eye openor for me, I always presumed putting in a roll cage, etc would improve the safety of the car, but when you think about putting steel bars (in my case) almost touching my head its not exactly going to improve safety. I would rather have a mangled mini then make contact with a lump off metal at 50mph.

^^ Also at 16 you didnt loose my attension by going into the "E=Mc2 malarkie", it was nice to see someone notice, rectify and explain the mistake someone else had made, to stop others from making it.

#126 Jimmy Hat

Jimmy Hat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:00 PM

to be honest, i think we prefer to keep it simple rather than loosing our 15/16 year olds attention with the E=Mc2 malarkie... however, i note your point.. i think.

Nah, good to have evidence to back up your point instead of just wildly making statements about everything... And I'm 15 :)

Nice depressing thread you have here, but I know I'm going to pay full attention to a lot of the points raised when I'm driving... scary to think what could happen tomorrow or any time, to you or anybody you know.... :)

Oh sorry, didnt look at the age of the thread..

Edited by Jimmy Hat, 02 October 2008 - 10:01 PM.

#127 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:11 PM

Oh sorry, didnt look at the age of the thread..

Don't apologise, always good to give this topic a bump! :)

#128 Jimmy Hat

Jimmy Hat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:18 PM

Fair dos :)

#129 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 05:52 PM

Makes me feel sad seeing all theese for squished minis. As Rachael said, im sure they all went to mini heaven :D.

Take a look at stephen kings Mini se7en car after he rolled it at paddock hill, Brands hatch. Not nice, but at the same time, the last Dunlop G&B Meeting a mini miglia rolled and looked in pretty good shape after.

#130 chrisandsarah

chrisandsarah

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:50 PM

Makes me feel sad seeing all theese for squished minis. As Rachael said, im sure they all went to mini heaven :P.

Totally agree, i hate seeing minis mashed up or left at the roadside rotting! :)

#131 pyromaniac_yeti

pyromaniac_yeti

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Local Club: none :(

Posted 03 October 2008 - 10:25 PM

so that was 40 head on?

this is what 20 head on with another mini does. (probbably less than that by the time id braked and skidded all over the place...)

http://www.theminifo...x...st&id=70677
http://www.theminifo...x...st&id=70678

cost me 300 odd already just for replacement parts...ive still gotta front out 100 quid for welding and 150 for spraying...

#132 Heather&Henrietta

Heather&Henrietta

Boobs + Batteries = Trouble!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • Local Club: JMC & BMC

Posted 06 October 2008 - 12:24 PM

BigGav's first post including the photo, really made me feel sick. I know a fireman here in Dorset, and he's told me some of things he's seen and you guys are so brave with what you have to contend with a daily basis.

#133 Danny3320

Danny3320

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Local Club: not a member yet

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:28 PM

;)

#134 chappy

chappy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:13 AM

;)

passed my test just under two weeks ago,

you get in on your own, and you feel like the best driver in the world, with all this power in front of you.
your really not..

in all honesty, this topic scares me, i haven't seen the pictures by biggav as they have been removed, but its still is eye opening. especially to think that you could lose it all because of someone elses mistakes.

i've been told so many times that you must treat every other driver as a nutter. but maybe its ourselves we should be careful of sometimes... i vowed to myself that i'm never drink driving... but even just putting your foot down that extra bit could change the out come of the next mili-seconds

i think i'll keep the saying 'better late than never' in mind while driving.

sorry if this post is a bit random, its late, and my mind is still trying to take in some of the things i've seen and read.

#135 Lukie-J

Lukie-J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • Local Club: South Devon Mini Club

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:45 AM

I have had a couple close ones...not going to go into detail but going sideways at 50 in a mini is not as fun as it may sound.Totally my fault but luckily no other cars were involved and the car somehow stayed on the road...just!...

My eyes have well and truly been opened, even at this time of night!
I have read all posts on this thread and people were saying about how to make your mini safer...
Roll cages seem maybe to be not the best idea, but a few have said that having bucket seats has helped, to keep you in your seat?
Would this be right? have been thinking about bucket seats in my car but thought its a lot of money to fork out to just have cool looking seats.
Maybe sounds stupid but haven't thought how they would help in a crash (seems obvious now!)
I have reading through this thread even thought about whether to get rid of the mini and have something safer...
But i dont think i could bring myself to do that!
Maybe bucket seats would be a good buy...

BigGav, biggest respect to you. Maybe you could do a thread on road safety? Including some of the pictures.
I never had one of those presentations at school, but i know a few people who should have had it.

Last year one of my friends had a crash at a stupid speed (still not sure exactly what happened) but he hit a telephone pole on a quiet road in his 2001 306 2.0 Turbo (stupid car for a 17 year old!) He was in a coma for 6 months and we nearly lost him! His girlfriend had to call the ambulance whilst trapped in the car next to what she thought was her dead boyfriend and wait for around 45 minutes while she tried to direct them to where they were. They were around 150 metres from the road.

Sorry, I've gone a bit off topic but maybe if He or his parents had attended one of these presentations then this could have been avoided.
I think maybe the parents should attend these presentations too, because most of the time in the case of young drivers, it's them who buys the first car or at least has some say in the matter!

I have only been driving on the road for a year and am very grateful to only have had near misses so far!

As for drink driving, doesn't matter how you can handle your drink, one is too many!

Sorry about the essay....My opinions!.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users