#1 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:57 PM

just arranged to go and collect my R1 engine and all ancillaries on sunday.

20 valves
4 cylinders
175 horses.

god knows how I'm gonna make this fit but I'll die trying - I've had to sell everything except one kidney to raise the cash.

So far I've found 2 firms doing sub-frame conversions / cradles - one won't sell me one and the other says that their conversion is only suited for upto 2003 R1 engines ( the 16 valvers )

I'm led to believe the 20 valver is bigger and has modified engine mount points.

Im definately going to need some help with subframe modifications and diff mounts / positioning, or is there anyone else out there that has a conversion kit ready to go for the 20 valver?

budget of £4000.00

>_<

any advice / help would be gratefully received.

#2 8vAlan

8vAlan

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Local Club: NENE Valley

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:08 PM

Clicky!

#3 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 10:53 PM

i looked into that when i got back, thought 4K would do it 2 man. Just for the installation like. take me for a spin when ur done man!

#4 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,454 posts
  • Local Club: Backstreet Minis

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:54 AM

What happened to the mspd k1100 conversion?

#5 supermotolee

supermotolee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:37 AM

www.pro-motive.co.uk
i thought all the R1 engines were 20valve except the very latest ones wich have gone back to 16valve layout mines 20valve and its a 1999 4xv model wish mine made 175 bhp too lol

#6 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:50 AM

Agree with Lee, all engines from 1998 up to 2004 are 20 valve and the the new generation R1's are 16 valve, what are you after fwd or rwd, which company won't sell you a frame?

Zcars have fitted both the 20v and 16v R1's in there rwd mid engined conversions, but a budget of £4,000 is not enough to buy the basic kit, so that will be differcult

ProMotive, looks like the best bet and could be just doable for around £4,000 on top of the engine, that kit takes the 20v 1998~2004 not the new generation R1

Your engine spec suggests you have the earlier engine 20v, but unless tuned they don't have 175bhp which is what is quoted for the new R1, so you need to confirm what you have, post a picture it's easy enough to tell

Cheers
David

#7 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:48 PM

What happened to the mspd k1100 conversion?

still on the cards - that ones for the cabriolet - I just need to get my arse in gear and finish his shop-fit, I've been stoopid busy recently and I'm worried I have neglected him - things calm down a bit soon and hopefully I can get it finished, and hopefully the K1100 will be finished also.

keep watching this space......................

cabriolet is now back together after the accident and ready to receive the new engine so fingers crossed.

#8 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:02 PM

Agree with Lee, all engines from 1998 up to 2004 are 20 valve and the the new generation R1's are 16 valve, what are you after fwd or rwd, which company won't sell you a frame?

Zcars have fitted both the 20v and 16v R1's in there rwd mid engined conversions, but a budget of £4,000 is not enough to buy the basic kit, so that will be differcult

ProMotive, looks like the best bet and could be just doable for around £4,000 on top of the engine, that kit takes the 20v 1998~2004 not the new generation R1

Your engine spec suggests you have the earlier engine 20v, but unless tuned they don't have 175bhp which is what is quoted for the new R1, so you need to confirm what you have, post a picture it's easy enough to tell

Cheers
David

this is where its all getting very confusing :thumbsup: some tell me early engines were 16 valvers, some say later engines and web-sites dont seem to clarify the issue.

Pro-motive so far have been great and i was ready to slap down fat deposit on their kit, but they say later engines are no good ( 2006 engine in question ) as they are too big, and the mount points are revised so their standard jig / kit will not work >_<
Lynx have said that they cannot / will not entertain me with one of their kits until the original customers car / prototype is fully finished and tested - unfortunately this first vehicle was involved in an incident which has delayed progress and when we spoke it appeared it would be the new year before any progress could be made.

At this stage I am still very excited to take delivery of a 2006 20 valver which i have bought because it has very low mileage ( 150 ! ) comes with absolutely everything and by the data from the Yamaha website is 175 horse approx in stock factory form.

What I hope is that I can persuade the guys at pro-motive to consider working with me and this later spec engine but they seem extremely busy and have only just nailed down their standard conversion kit let alone modifying to suit later engines.

The Z cars route for me is not really suitable as I really dont want to cut the back end out of the car.

As soon as I have the engine I'll post pictures and engine numbers and hopefully one of you guys can help me identify what I have. Even if it is the lesser horsepower for the price I have paid I still think its good value, and obviously modifications can be made later.

compare the cost of a full blown R1 conversion and a Moorspeed K1100 and the comparison is pretty equal, I guess i'm going to have the best of both worlds if all pans out the way I hope.

thanks for the feedback

martin.

#9 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:05 PM

i looked into that when i got back, thought 4K would do it 2 man. Just for the installation like. take me for a spin when ur done man!

no worries.

#10 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:10 PM

do you guys not worry about the ghost factor of these engines? >_< lol. As in, how did they come from a modernish bike in the first place? and how many written off bikes r from fatal accidents.... aaaaanyway. Goodluck! LMAO

#11 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:16 PM

do you guys not worry about the ghost factor of these engines? >_< lol. As in, how did they come from a modernish bike in the first place? and how many written off bikes r from fatal accidents.... aaaaanyway. Goodluck! LMAO

as long as the gristle and snot has been jet washed off I'm cool.

judging by the photos this one doesnt appear to have any damage - if it has been in a crash it must have been a fairly light-weight fracas

born again bikers rool - they buy em, crash em, and the bits are available cheap :thumbsup:

#12 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:17 PM

forgot - photos available from ebay........

#13 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:06 PM

Right I'm getting confused now, had a look round the web, the 2006 are indeed 20 valve, new for 2007 is the 16 valve, throttle wire throttle, etc.

So 1998~2003 20 valve same rear mounts, slightly different front mounts, new R1 engine introduced 2004 still with 20valve, 175hp completly different mounts front and rear, different dimensions, 2007 R1 has 16valves and a little more horsepower again

Hope that makes sense

Cheers
David

#14 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:38 PM

Right I'm getting confused now, had a look round the web, the 2006 are indeed 20 valve, new for 2007 is the 16 valve, throttle wire throttle, etc.

So 1998~2003 20 valve same rear mounts, slightly different front mounts, new R1 engine introduced 2004 still with 20valve, 175hp completly different mounts front and rear, different dimensions, 2007 R1 has 16valves and a little more horsepower again

Hope that makes sense

Cheers
David

thanks dave - you got to about the same point as me, so I have a 175 bhp 20 valver which is unfortunately not suitable for the pro-motive subframe kit. Unless the guys agree to work with me to modify one of their kits to suit.

it is very confusing though isn't it - even my local Yamaha dealer couldn't quite nail down what I had got until I had engine numbers available.

#15 adyzr1

adyzr1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:47 PM

i heard the new engines have less mid range torque(essential in a bec), but the top end is more powerful hence 175bhp

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users