543 replies to this topic

#16 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:47 PM

flog th engine on make some money and buy the engine that will fit for the promotive kit.

#17 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:58 PM

That's right, you have a 2006 R1 20 valve and 175bhp, your a bit stuck with a fwd kit of any sort with that engine, the clearance are so very tight that any deviation from that, would require a new subframe kit to be based on that 2006 engine.

Lynx, I have been talking to them about there R1 fwd conversion for at the very least 3 years if not longer, so I wouldn't wait for them to sort a kit. It would be based on the older R1 anyway so not suitable for you.

Cheers
David

#18 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:00 PM

flog th engine on make some money and buy the engine that will fit for the promotive kit.

you're not the first to suggest it and I'm giving it some thought. It might make life a lot easier. This was intended to be a fairly straight forward project, and certainly the pro-motive kit appears to make it pretty simple.

#19 adyzr1

adyzr1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:04 PM

make sure you get the clocks and ignition, r1's from 2004 have electronic immobilisers in them and are matched to the engine

#20 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:06 PM

out of interest, and exploring all the options, has anyone seen or done a geronimo rear engine conversion? their prices with diff and rear suspension in place appears top be on a par with pro-motive's prices but you have to cut the back-end out

http://www.geronimoc...co.uk/id14.html

#21 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:07 PM

make sure you get the clocks and ignition, r1's from 2004 have electronic immobilisers in them and are matched to the engine

yep - got it all, thats what got me hooked on this particular bundle. Just a shame about the variant of engine.

#22 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:35 AM

out of interest, and exploring all the options, has anyone seen or done a geronimo rear engine conversion? their prices with diff and rear suspension in place appears top be on a par with pro-motive's prices but you have to cut the back-end out

Yea, they've been mentioned a few times on TMF. I believe those prices are for seamed tubing which most of us don't think is safe enough, but I believe they can use CDS, but that would make the price go up accordingly.

#23 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:17 AM

Yea, they've been mentioned a few times on TMF. I believe those prices are for seamed tubing which most of us don't think is safe enough, but I believe they can use CDS, but that would make the price go up accordingly.

whats that pic of the grasstrack car that has been crashed with a geronimo cage in.... is that seamed? because it seemed fine.

#24 Tangoâ„¢

Tangoâ„¢

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 15 July 2007 - 04:54 PM

yeah but look at the welding!

id prefer zcars than a bad welding job which i might as well have done! >_<

Edited by Tango™, 15 July 2007 - 04:54 PM.

#25 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 06:48 PM

got the engine home and I'm gob-smacked at how light it is, lifted it out of the boot and carried it into the garage without even a struggle.

found all the engine mount points, but still scratching my head on some of the wiring loom - there is loads of it.

Oh well -- back to the manual.....

#26 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:07 PM

update time.

having had a fantastic range of responses and lots of advice from various sources, the general consensus of opinion has won me over.
This was meant to be a fairly simple conversion, so i have decided to make it easier.

I have arranged to exchange the 2005 R1 engine and bits for a 2003 R1 engine with 4200 miles on the clock ( previous model and size ) and absolutely everything else I need including ignition barrel, 2 keys transponders ecu loom etc etc.
This way i can revert to a pro-motive subframe kit and maybe have this thing finished in 10 weeks or so.

I loose a few horsepower, but by all accounts gain more valuable torque where I will need it most.

I'm terribly impatient and can't abide the concept of waiting.

I have taken measurements and photos from the larger 2005 R1, and will continue to draw it in 3D, and I will also continue to try and develop a cradle kit to work with it. Through a friend who I didn't realise has just bought a crash damaged R1 to repair, when i get to that stage i will borrow the engine and see what we can make work.

The new engine is still 20 valves, 1 litre and approx 152 bhp. Other guys on the forum have used this engine and seem to be having lots of fun with it, and it is mainly through reading their threads that have persuaded me to go with the older, smaller unit.

So, thanks everyone - next update will hopefully start seeing bits being strapped together.

Meanwhile....who was it doing turbo conversions for earlier R1's???? :P

Edited by roofless, 23 July 2007 - 09:09 PM.

#27 Bosanova

Bosanova

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Local Club: .

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:39 PM

That is probably sensible to do. I have seen som dyno pulls on the old VS new R1 engines and it seems the old has quite a bit more midrange.
Do you need key transponders for the 2003 engine? My dont have any, just a regular keys/ignition barrel.
Also do you know you can change the A/F ratio through the instrument panel. A nice feature when changeing exhaust manifolds, air filters , and removing the exup. I have talked to some bike tuners and they say the R1 injection engines is tuned very lean from the factory.
Turbo it? your crazy :P

#28 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 05:23 PM

That is probably sensible to do. I have seen som dyno pulls on the old VS new R1 engines and it seems the old has quite a bit more midrange.
Do you need key transponders for the 2003 engine? My dont have any, just a regular keys/ignition barrel.
Also do you know you can change the A/F ratio through the instrument panel. A nice feature when changeing exhaust manifolds, air filters , and removing the exup. I have talked to some bike tuners and they say the R1 injection engines is tuned very lean from the factory.
Turbo it? your crazy :)

turbo thing is just me messing about - have seen several variations mainly fom the states where I guess they need the extra power to lug around their spare tyres, bingo-wings and 1/2 pounders with cheeze. :(

There was also a clip on youtube of a guy in a turbo'd locost nailing it down some country lanes - I love the way his face appears to flap around as the boost kicks in :P

Just as soon as I get the new kit I'll let you know whats come with it and maybe you could advise me what i am missing?

thanks for the comments - its all invaluable.

Edited by roofless, 24 July 2007 - 05:23 PM.

#29 supermotolee

supermotolee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:15 PM

so i take it your ordering a kit from darren i txt him the other day about some of the pm's i've been getting hes a busy boy but i know you wont be disapointed if you get a kit from them...

lee

#30 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:46 PM

so i take it your ordering a kit from darren i txt him the other day about some of the pm's i've been getting hes a busy boy but i know you wont be disapointed if you get a kit from them...

lee

thanks lee :P I've mailed him to arrange a meet up so I can pay a deposit and get the ball rolling.

Are you getting a lot of interest ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users